Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Getting my cherry popped at NL200

After some success at NL100 I was testing the water at NL200 when this disaster came up. I feel ok with it but wonder if my thinking has to change a bit at higher stakes when the stacks get deeper. Was I too quick to push here?

FYI: Bad Guy is whopping 75%vpip 11%pfr over 80 hands but not too agg post. SB is new to the table. My preflop steal is less than usual because I wasnt trying to run Bad Guy off. My flop bet is also small for largely the same reason. I was happy to have callers and let the hand develop with me in position. It developed a little quicker than I thought. I welcome comments on anything, but mostly on the all in move. Thanks.

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Stacks:
Button (Hero) ($399.58)
SB ($196)
BB (Bad Guy) ($491)
UTG ($18.40)
UTG+1 ($97.48)
CO ($188)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds Hero raises to $6 sb calls Bad Guy calls</font>.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Bad Guy checks, Hero bets 10, SB folds, Bad Guy raises to $75, Hero raises 399.58 (All-In).

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

H
Old 07-25-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Getting my cherry popped at NL200

Against a set, you're really not in that great shape. This is much closer to a fold than a push, despite the fact that it looks pretty. In fact, if he's really passive, this big raise surely means something huge (most likely a set) and therefore I think I drop it. Essentially you just have a flush draw. You also have runner runner outs because of your top pair, but unless you were playing against me those never come in.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:29 PM

looks like you raced against a better ace, 2paired hand, or took the slightly bad end of it against a set. id wait for a larger edge to take a donk's stack
Old 07-25-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bad Guy is...not too agg post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad guy check raised to 75 after a weak lead...unless he's stealing you're in big trouble. I don't like a push here at all. If he's a donk who often overbet pots and folded to aggression, I'd like the push, but as he's not very aggressive you have to give him credit for something that beats you (which is almost everything).

FWIW I don't auto push pair+flush draws, sure you'll win a small pot fairly often but the few times you get called you'll lose far more.

Hope he had some rubbish like 87[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and you took the pot.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:52 PM

Yup he had A9os no clubs. I really didnt think quite enough before pushing here. I thought if he folds fine and if not I might still be ahead and worst case will not be behind by much (which is true I was only 45 vs 55 on the flop). But with some more thought about his lack of post aggression I have to think that worst case (I am in slightly behind in a race) is pretty likely here. I dont want a race for my big stack against this guy.

No one has mentioned calling. Is that an option?

Good comments
H
Old 07-25-2005, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one has mentioned calling. Is that an option?

[/ QUOTE ]
With $325 behind it's be hard to lay it down...you have position so I'd call and reevaluate the turn. If he leads very big you know you're beat, if not you'll probably have odds to a flush/trips/two pair draw and can call. Trips and two pair would have to be played cautiously though, I probably wouldn't back them with my stack.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought if he folds fine and if not I might still be ahead and worst case will not be behind by much (which is true I was only 45 vs 55 on the flop). But with some more thought about his lack of post aggression I have to think that worst case (I am in slightly behind in a race) is pretty likely here. I dont want a race for my big stack against this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst case scenario is a set, where you're worse than a 2:1 underdog. With the flop action a set is a possiblitiy.

Ac Tc 31.01
6d 6h 68.99
Old 07-25-2005, 10:19 PM

Yes, a call may have some nice upside here. Since he is passive post, he may slow down with two pair type hands and give me a cheap river. With the calling line I take full advantage of my position while avoiding losing my stack with top pair. It is the only line that is consistant for playing against a person who is passive post.

I just have too many outs and a good chance at a cheap river to fold on the flop here.

Rethinking the hand has helped a lot. Originally I was ok with the push, but now the call seems clearly best.

H
Old 07-26-2005, 02:51 AM

To me, it looks like you are in tournament mode.

Slow down, if you called his $75, once that 2nd 9 hits, you're off the hook...

I am one who is not a big fan of AI poker at that level, especially when your hand isn't FULLY realized yet, and facing a BIG bet.

I would probably fold, and wait for a bigger edge, his $75 was a wake up call.

I play NL live mostly and it took me a while to step off the gas, but I've only BIG wiped out twice (on 1 hand), one was a drunk with a river 2 outer and other was old fart with bad pot odds on his 2nd nut flush draw on every street, who hit the Ace for the nuts on the river. ;p

I'll wait hours for the edge....

&gt;TW&lt;
Old 07-26-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To me, it looks like you are in tournament mode.

Slow down, if you called his $75, once that 2nd 9 hits, you're off the hook...

I am one who is not a big fan of AI poker at that level, especially when your hand isn't FULLY realized yet, and facing a BIG bet.

I would probably fold, and wait for a bigger edge, his $75 was a wake up call.

I play NL live mostly and it took me a while to step off the gas, but I've only BIG wiped out twice (on 1 hand), one was a drunk with a river 2 outer and other was old fart with bad pot odds on his 2nd nut flush draw on every street, who hit the Ace for the nuts on the river. ;p

I'll wait hours for the edge....

&gt;TW&lt;

[/ QUOTE ]

Ima say a little prayer for all the +EV situations you've missed with that attitude. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] They don't give out bonus money for "fewest times stacked."

I'm calling the raise and getting the [censored] outta Dodge when the board pairs with his likely paired kicker on the turn. This is not a push, as you're clearly not ahead, but given this guy's loose-passive play, with its implied love of dominated aces, I'm gonna give myself a full twelve outs here, and I think it's fair to consider his whole stack fair game, since he's probably not getting away from a three-flush board with those two shining pair.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:30 AM

Never said I didn't stick my neck out. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

&gt;TW&lt;