Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Top set gets checked through on the flop

And I'm one off the button. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Second hand at the table. Previous hand I posted in the cutoff and reraised an MP3 PF raise with pocket 5s, bet an Axx flop, and the river and turn got checked through. If CO is taking notice he might suspect I'm raising light.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, SB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (8.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

The moral? Don't try to trap the field for 2 if you don't have a read on the person you expect to bet. I probably shouldn't even have worried about CO blasting out the field with a raise as the pot is so big, right? So leading could actually get more in the pot allowing me to 3 bet.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Top set gets checked through on the flop

the problem is that you were the one who capped preflop (not saying that capping is incorrect). if you simply called the 3-bet, check raising the flop would be more desirable. that said, did he 3-bet you with 88 or KQ?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:04 PM

I never check my monsters after I capped. I guess I do it out of principles as I find that it is often too obvious. Here CO might find it suspicious and may check UIOC right behind you.

I agree with you that leading in this spot will likely get the most money as the pot is big and it might entice your opponents to call for 2 more with very little. It is also not guaranteed that CO will raise you.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:58 AM

He had teh king queen. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 10:08 AM

i just read in hepfap that its sometimes good to just bet out and make it 3 bets against a pf aggressor. since you closed the action pf, i would just do that. if dude capped instead, your line would be good.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:02 PM

I bet this flop somewhere in the vicinity of 100% of the time.

Making plays partly because you think the other players might be "taking notice" of your play is more than a little optimistic at 1/2. You're trying to play way too fancily for people who aren't trying to read you and aren't trying to get into your head. Of course, the fact that he's only seen one other hand of yours doesn't help matters much either...

Flop set = bet.