Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Trying to play better, but an unhappy hand

I've taken a few shots at 5/10 recently, and I find that I play way more tricky and make big moves preflop that I never did at 3/6. This hand comes within the first few orbits though, so I don't think the Villains have much of a read. I have them both tagged as tight-passive preflop, but not rock-tight, and aggressive postflop, over a small sample size.

I'm CO with 975 behind in a Party 5/10 6-max game. UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, I look at red Aces and make it 50. Button calls with 935 behind and UTG calls with us both covered.

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with 165 in the pot.

UTG bets 120, and I instantly think set and call (bad move?). Button calls behind.

Turn 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with 525 in the pot.

UTG checks. It looks like Button is on the flush draw, but if I bet and UTG does have a set, I have to pay him off for my whole stack. Do I check and hope Button checks through, or are the stacks too small to try for pot control in a 3-handed pot? I have about 800 left.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Trying to play better, but an unhappy hand

if you "thought set" why are you calling? if you seriously think set, fold. if you don't think set, re-raise all-in... cmon man trust your reads
Old 07-26-2005, 12:40 AM

i like an all in or a check
Old 07-26-2005, 12:43 AM

I think it's unlikely that someone aggreisve enough to lead with a set would check on turn with 2 players behind on somewhat drawy board. I'd bet 400 and call a push.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:47 AM

I thought a set was very possible, but certainly not the only hand UTG can be holding here. If I raise the flop, I may knock out some hands that I beat (QQ, KK, AJ?), and a set will either come over the top all-in or call and put it in on the turn. The problem is that I can't fold to a reraise on the flop, because a draw would play it the same way as a set. If I wait until the turn, I can see what Button does and how UTG reacts to my call and the next card.

I tend to have trouble with multiway pots, but I don't think anyone finds them easy.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's unlikely that someone aggreisve enough to lead with a set would check on turn with 2 players behind on somewhat drawy board. I'd bet 400 and call a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I led a set on the flop, I probably checkraise the turn about half of the time.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've taken a few shots at 5/10 recently, and I find that I play way more tricky and make big moves preflop that I never did at 3/6. This hand comes within the first few orbits though, so I don't think the Villains have much of a read. I have them both tagged as tight-passive preflop, but not rock-tight, and aggressive postflop, over a small sample size.

I'm CO with 975 behind in a Party 5/10 6-max game. UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, I look at red Aces and make it 50. Button calls with 935 behind and UTG calls with us both covered.

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with 165 in the pot.

UTG bets 120, and I instantly think set and call (bad move?). Button calls behind.

Turn 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with 525 in the pot.

UTG checks. It looks like Button is on the flush draw, but if I bet and UTG does have a set, I have to pay him off for my whole stack. Do I check and hope Button checks through, or are the stacks too small to try for pot control in a 3-handed pot? I have about 800 left.

[/ QUOTE ]

check it through and get to showdown. be willing to call 350 on the river from UTG on a non heart. if button pushes the turn behind you, call. if UTG pushes a boring river, fold. if the river is a heart, check to button and fold to a legit river bet. if river is boring, UTG checks, you check and call a bet from button. but not a c/r all-in from UTG.

i think that's all the options. i hate multiway pots.

fim
Old 07-26-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought a set was very possible, but certainly not the only hand UTG can be holding here. If I raise the flop, I may knock out some hands that I beat (QQ, KK, AJ?)

[/ QUOTE ]

at the 5/10 6max on party I really doubt any of those hands fold, especially the first two. I don't think those hands are very likely though.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:44 AM

I think going broke on a 2 flush flop with AA and 100bb's is not bad. I think always seeing sets when villain raises might hamper your aggressiveness when your ahead, hence prevent you from playing optimally.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:52 AM

this is why i like a turn push a decent % of the time

considering the one person with a flush draw