Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Party Supers

I always see the official posts for these tournys and was thinking of taking a shot at buying in directly to one of these. I normally just play 22-55 MTTs, but I feel like my tourny game has improved a whole lot recently and my bankroll is definitely in good shape. Generally, how are the players in these compared to a normal $55 MTT or the 350k? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Party Supers

[ QUOTE ]
Generally, how are the players in these compared to a normal $55 MTT or the 350k

[/ QUOTE ]

Similar to the 350K, but much smaller field.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:26 PM

My experience of skill level in MTTs, measured in DPTs (donks per table [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]):

55s- 6-7
109s- 3-4
162s (supers)- 2-3
215s (350Ks)- 1-2
Old 07-25-2005, 05:35 PM

DPT...funny.

Another key difference is the structure. T1,500 starting chips and 20 min rounds vs. T1,000 and 15 minutes. That's a huge difference that deemphasizes the importance of getting lucky early.

And I should add...very, very good players play the higher limit events but are rarely found at the $55s. However, your chances of running into them are small (there simply aren't that many!) On balance, I think you'll be surprised that the skill difference for the average player isn't as great as you may have expected. You should give it a try.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:39 PM

It's been awhile since I've played a $55 tourney but I know there are some good players on this site who play those in addition to the Supers. I think you'll find that the competition is a bit tougher but there are still lots of people who qualify through a qualifier. I think it really comes down to bankroll. If you want to play them regularly then you have to be willing to accept the fluctuations that come from finishing OTM much more often than not. And you have to go into them with the intent of going deep into the money.

Here's a good test for you. Imagine you're on the bubble with a pretty small stack. But there are enough smaller stacks about to pay the blinds that you could easily coast into the money. You're dealt A8 in the CO with average stacks and average players behind you. What do you do?

If you're answer is to fold because you'd prefer to at least get your money back then you're not ready for this level yet. If you honestly know that you'd push, then sign on up.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DPT...funny.

Another key difference is the structure. T1,500 starting chips and 20 min rounds vs. T1,000 and 15 minutes. That's a huge difference that deemphasizes the importance of getting lucky early.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been out of the country for two weeks but did they change the structure of the Supers? Last I played they were T1000 and 20 minute rounds.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DPT...funny.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been out of the country for two weeks but did they change the structure of the Supers? Last I played they were T1000 and 20 minute rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to the $215s vs. $55s, sorry for confusion.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:49 PM

Got it.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a good test for you. Imagine you're on the bubble with a pretty small stack. But there are enough smaller stacks about to pay the blinds that you could easily coast into the money. You're dealt A8 in the CO with average stacks and average players behind you. What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering... is folding here when my stack is around 12-15 BB (and people behind me are close or bigger) horrible? I don't know that i would, but that akward level is the only time i'd think of letting it go in your scenario. esp if the blinds are aggressive. I just hate putting 20-25% of my stack in on a PFR where I know there's a good chance i'll be put to the test, and the call will be a tricky one if they're tough and an approximately optimal % of resteals.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering... is folding here when my stack is around 12-15 BB (and people behind me are close or bigger) horrible? I don't know that i would, but that akward level is the only time i'd think of letting it go in your scenario. esp if the blinds are aggressive. I just hate putting 20-25% of my stack in on a PFR where I know there's a good chance i'll be put to the test, and the call will be a tricky one if they're tough and an approximately optimal % of resteals.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just to clarify, under the situation I presented with a short stack I'm thinking in the neighborhood of under 7XBB or so. Your situation is tricky and situation dependent. Most importantly is the size of the stacks left to act and how aggressive they are. A8 is very much a steal hand. You'd prefer to win the hand pre-flop. At the same time, it's probably the best hand given your position and it's a shame to let it go if you think a raise will win the blinds.