Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Recess appointment stinks to high heaven

Yahoo! is reporting that President Bush has used the recess appointment power to put Bolton into the UN. In doing so, he has completely sidestepped Congress on the issue.

This move stinks. I realize that it is within the scope of Presidential powers, but this sort of appointment power was meant to be used in the case where there is a pressing need for an ambassador, and not to evade a growing opposition to your candidate.

I tip my hat to the President for a shrewd political manuever(I doubt it was completely his idea), but I wonder if this is going to burn every ounce of political capital he may have had left.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-01-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Recess appointment stinks to high heaven

[ QUOTE ]
I tip my hat to the President for a shrewd political manuever(I doubt it was completely his idea), but I wonder if this is going to burn every ounce of political capital he may have had left.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, he's used recess appointments for judicial positions that were being fillibustered in the past.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yahoo! is reporting that President Bush has used the recess appointment power to put Bolton into the UN. In doing so, he has completely sidestepped Congress on the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's sidestepped a Democratic party Senate filibuster. He'd be confirmed on an up or down vote in the Senate. The House doesn't vote on such appointments.

FYP
Old 08-01-2005, 11:24 AM

Yes...sorry...it is just the Senate who confirms.

just par for the course for this administration

Clinton did the same thing. Bill Lan Lee was a Civil Rights official in the Justice Department for over a year on a "recess" appointment after he was rejected by the Senate. I agree it is an abuse of the process, but I don't remember the media making a big deal out of it when Clinton did it for Bill Lee, so they better keep quiet now. However, since when does the media apply a consistent standard with Democrats and Republicans?
Old 08-01-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He'd be confirmed on an up or down vote in the Senate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I question whether or not this is true and think the possible failure of an up or down vote might have something to do with the recess nomination.

He'll have to be confirmed by 06' regardless. The Bush administration is just buying time so they can circle the wagons amongst wayward Senate Republicans who might have considered voting no.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I question whether or not this is true and think the possible failure of an up or down vote might have something to do with the recess nomination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope if Bolton wouldn't get a majority in the Senate the Democrats would end their fillibuster in a heart beat. It's just common sense. From reports I've read the Republicans feel that the abosulute worst they could do was get a 50-50 split with Cheney breaking the tie. Basically they count the votes as 53-47 most likely with Thune and Voinivich crossing over.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:50 AM

You are correct sir, Clinton used this recess appointement 103 times, thats right 103 times clinton used this, and one time was for for the Attorney General, of course the liberals dont care about that.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:58 AM

Not saying Clinton wasn't sneaky, too...and for the record, I'm no liberal, either. Fish...saying something against President Bush does not make one a liberal, necessarily.