Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Table selection & PT

So, table selection is always touted as one of the most important things in Poker.
After extensive research, I have learned that it is not really important to me at all.
There are a number of reasons for this, So I will try to explain.
The two most important:
1) I make more playing 4 tables than I do playing 2 and searching for 2 more good tables.
Since my BB/100 is well in the positive, I am giving up expectation by spending time searching for a "good" table than I would be making on a "bad" one.
2) I make more on tables with an average VP$IP less than 20%!
This is because I have a relatively loose agressive style (about 25/12 preflop, 2.5af/35%WtSD,) and I exploit other players' presumed knowledge of poker to win a lot of pots uncontested.

There is also a problem I have found with PT stats in table selection. There is actually a notable difference in measuring the average players/flop% compared to PT (GT+ or PokerAce) which takes all known players and averages their VP$IP.
This same problem exists with PFR%. I would like to know what % of hands are raised pre-flop, not what the average PFR% of all my opoonents is. This makes a big difference at 5/10 where average PFR% will be 8%, but approximately every hand is raised pre-flop, compared to 2/4 where an average PFR% of 8 can mean that about half of hands are raised pre-flop.
I would also like (and this is wishing/speculation) a way to find the % of hands re-raised preflop. I have seen 5/10 tables where a PFR meant only that a player was planning to see the flop, but a re-raise was AA-JJ or AK.

I would like to know what all of you look for in table selection, as well as your observations of the importance of specific PT stats.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Table selection & PT

[ QUOTE ]
Since my BB/100 is well in the positive, I am giving up expectation by spending time searching for a "good" table than I would be making on a "bad" one.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what your BB/100 has to do with this concept. I'll just say that scouting tables should not be such a tedious process that you're losing expectation trying to find a good table. If it is - you're not doing something right.

[ QUOTE ]
2) I make more on tables with an average VP$IP less than 20%!
This is because I have a relatively loose agressive style (about 25/12 preflop, 2.5af/35%WtSD,) and I exploit other players' presumed knowledge of poker to win a lot of pots uncontested.

[/ QUOTE ]
After laughing at the "... presumed knowledge" part I just thought to myself - you know - this really isn't any big secret that you win money on tight tables by stealing pots. It is, however, fallacious to conclude that you are going to maximize your poker profits on a tight table vs. a loose table.

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to know what all of you look for in table selection, as well as your observations of the importance of specific PT stats.

[/ QUOTE ]
Table VP$IP (according to playerview) in excess of 33% or so; PFR between 0-5/6%.

Also - when I start a session now days - I go straight to my buddy list, look them up and get on those tables (or waiting lists if neccessary). I haven't spent any real time in the lobby or scouting tables in months. Every time I sit I'm guaranteeed to play with at least one idiot - and, as we all know, idiots tend to run in packs!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]