Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Help with a Strange Player

I just ran across a guy I couldn't figure out.

I was playing a $10 SNG on ultimate bet just for some Friday night fun and a break from the limit grind. This guy was a very weak, tight player for the entire SNG. I probably bluffed at him 15 times during the SNG and he folded all 15 times.

At one point, I had 11,000 of the 15,000 chips in play and there were 4 players left. The other 3 were about even and were all just trying to sneak in the money.

Then, this guy goes all-in from the small blind (with no limpers) with 64o. I called from the BB with K7.

I won the hand and he went ballistic. He started berating me for calling him with a weak hand. I thought I had him beat because EVERY time he limped from the small blind, I put in a good sized raise and he'd fold. We must have done that 10 times. I knew that if he had a big PP he would have limped and then gone over the top all-in when I raised. He could have counted on my raise like clockwork because it worked every single time. I knew I was at worst a 2-1 dog and I had a huge chip lead.

Anyway, the guy wouldn't leave the table. He stuck around talking Sh*t until the SNG was over. Here's the part I don't get:

He was trying to get me to play a heads-up $10/$20 game. While tempted, I didn't sit down because $5/10 is the highest limit I play. It doesn't seem to me that a pro would sit and play for an hour at a $10 SNG with the hope that he could sucker someone into a $10/20 limit game. It would be a serious waste of time.

I followed this guy. Turns out, he actually IS playing someone heads up at $10/$20 steaks. I watched him for about 10 minutes and couldn't get a read on the guy. He obviously wasn't a beginner, but he was on a serious card rush so I couldn't tell exactly where his skills were at.

Why would a guy be bouncing back and forth between a low buy-in SNG where the winner gets $50 for a game that took an hour and half to play......and a $10/$20 head's up limit game where the average pot is $148? He only played one table the whole time at both games.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Help with a Strange Player

$10+1 well worth it if he can get a fish to follow to a $10/20 heads up match -

my thought is that he's a better player than you give him credit.

ps stop calling allin bets with K7o
Old 07-23-2005, 12:46 AM

Sounds like he got a nice little hustle going on there...

Why were you even considering doing this in the first place? Just ignore these kind of people.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:48 AM

nah, if he was hustlin, and wanting fish to follow, he probably would have played extremely wreckless the whole time, trying to convince as many people as possible that he plays like crap
Old 07-23-2005, 01:00 AM

true - however based on the texture of the OP (and the fact he "bluffed" 15 times in a SNG) my money's on the mystery player - our poster has no business following anyone to a t$10/20 table
Old 07-23-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$10+1 well worth it if he can get a fish to follow to a $10/20 heads up match -

my thought is that he's a better player than you give him credit.

ps stop calling allin bets with K7o

[/ QUOTE ]

Op's call with K/7 os was fine. They were on the bubble, Op was chip leader, villain was sb and short stack, op was already well committed in the bb, and as OP correctly stated, against most hands he isn't a horrible dog.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Op's call with K/7 os was fine. They were on the bubble, Op was chip leader, villain was sb and short stack, op was already well committed in the bb, and as OP correctly stated, against most hands he isn't a horrible dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Some reason. Maybe I didn't explain the texture of the game well; but it was a mediocre call at worst.

I constantly bluffed at him because I NEVER got called. I would have been stupid not to keep bluffing. He didn't lead at one pot; not one check-raise.

I would put my money on the OP in heads up match with this guy. He's a much better player. He usually plays 8 games of Party 3/6; which takes some skill to beat......and he's very good heads up.

This guy's still got me confused. I'm watching him play another head's up match right now, 6 hours later. This one's a no limit game with $10/20 blinds. He's behind about $1200.

As another poster allude to, it was strange that he wasn't trying to egg people on the whole time. Like I said, he was incredibly tight. He didn't type anything in the chat until after he was eliminated. If he were trying to bait people, you'd think he playing playing garbage hands and talking it up.

....and why $10 SNGs? People who play that limit generally don't have the bankroll or desire to play $10/20 or higher. There are plenty of fish in the $20 and $50 SNGs. They'd be much more likely to drop a load of cash then someone playing for $10.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:13 AM

Maybe it's a case of "The grass is always greener..."? Instead of, "Gah! I need to play with better players! People who respect my raises!" he's thinking "Gah! I need to play with worse players! These guys never pay me off!"

Hey, it's a theory at least.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Some reason. Maybe I didn't explain the texture of the game well; but it was a mediocre call at worst.

I constantly bluffed at him because I NEVER got called. I would have been stupid not to keep bluffing. He didn't lead at one pot; not one check-raise.

I would put my money on the OP in heads up match with this guy. He's a much better player. He usually plays 8 games of Party 3/6; which takes some skill to beat......and he's very good heads up.

This guy's still got me confused. I'm watching him play another head's up match right now, 6 hours later. This one's a no limit game with $10/20 blinds. He's behind about $1200.

As another poster allude to, it was strange that he wasn't trying to egg people on the whole time. Like I said, he was incredibly tight. He didn't type anything in the chat until after he was eliminated. If he were trying to bait people, you'd think he playing playing garbage hands and talking it up.

....and why $10 SNGs? People who play that limit generally don't have the bankroll or desire to play $10/20 or higher. There are plenty of fish in the $20 and $50 SNGs. They'd be much more likely to drop a load of cash then someone playing for $10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jman's wild theory: He lets his younger brother play on his account in $10 S & G's. In exchange, his younger brother must try to bait people into playing him heads up for high stakes.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing a $10 SNG on ultimate bet just for some Friday night fun

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he was doing the same thing?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are talking about yourself in the 3rd person here? Are you serious?

Playing 8 tables of bot-wannabe poker at 3-6 is nowhere near the type of credentials you want to have when talking about playing 10-20 Heads Up.

I dont really know what you are trying to prove or convey here. If you thought you were that much better than him then play him and find out. If you are unsure of playing out of your usual stakes is a good idea here, or have to ask despite that this comes up all the time, then definitely stay in your comfort zone because he'd run you over.