Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 07:18 PM

Default be honest (anon. from reg. poster)

I just played this hand a few minutes ago.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (25 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (17.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero folds, MP1 calls.

River: (20.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 23.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG+1 has As Qc (two pair, aces and nines).
MP1 has Kd Ks (two pair, kings and nines).
MP2 has 9h Qs (three of a kind, nines).
Outcome: MP2 wins 23.50 BB. </font>

Don't bother criticizing PF &amp; flop. I already know.

The thing is this--I called on the flop to pursue the runner-runner flush or straight--I wanted a piece of the big pot. The 7 comes. "Oh, well, didn't get my outs, gotta fold " I mean, the card that I wanted comes on the turn, I don't recognize it.

I am just so [censored] disgusted. How does one go about improving this? I mean, I just cannot see the cards the way good poker players see them. I'm tired today--got about three hrs of sleep last night. Then again, I folded a set on the turn yesterday to an apparent straight in a big pot, forgetting about my outs for the boat.

I've been beating the .25/.50 game pretty severely at a constant clip over over the past two weeks, probably 4000-5000 hands.

Give it up now?

God, I'm depressed.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: be honest (anon. from reg. poster)

Old 07-22-2005, 07:23 PM

Why did you call the preflop raise from the early position with JTs?
Old 07-22-2005, 07:24 PM

That's your problem -- you did get your outs on the turn. Not much (a gutshot straight on a paired board -- at least it's to the nut straight), but this pot is huge!

You called looking for a miracle (with the raise, it's a very thin call -- if the board was not paired it would be close), and you got part of it. Now you actually have odds to call and fold?! Ugh.

-K
Old 07-22-2005, 07:33 PM

What's the question?
Old 07-22-2005, 07:38 PM

I think you made every decision wrong in this hand. The flop is the closest one, in my opinion, but it's probably still a fold on a paired board.

Not sure what you want to hear here -- is it time to take a break from the game for a bit? Oh, and...

[ QUOTE ]
I'm tired today--got about three hrs of sleep last night.

[/ QUOTE ]
This has just gotta be -EV.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:42 PM

Okay, I'll be honest (I'm not a board guru, so I don't know if this will help or not...):

Don't play poker on 3 hours of sleep! If you want to give your money away, there are tons of worthy charities to donate it to. Or, invite me to sit at your table and I'll take it from you. (I might even give you rakeback.)

That being said, I think you are being a little hard on yourself.

I just cannot see the cards the way good poker players see them.

I definitely don't always either. But when I feel stupid, I ask myself "How did good poker players learn to see their cards that way?" And I answer myself, "Practice." Thousands and tens of thousands of hands of practice.

If you really feel like punishing yourself, you could do what I did once when I felt like I just wasn't "seeing" the board. (Warning, obsessive compulsive behavior ahead.)I took a deck of cards and dealt flop, turn, river over and over again and made myself identify the nuts and the draws on every street. I don't know whether it worked or not, but I felt like I "earned" some improvement.

Take a nap. Ease up on yourself.

I've been beating the .25/.50 game pretty severely at a constant clip over over the past two weeks, probably 4000-5000 hands.

Granted, small sample size, but to me this sounds like a success story.

P.S. Don't call a raise in UTG+2 with J10.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:45 PM

nh.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:51 PM

Here's my GRUNCH (I am no Poo-Bah)

#1 JTs isn't anywhere close to my UTG hands at all, I don't see how cold calling with this hand in early position was on your mind, not being harsh, just think you can save yourself a few BB an hour by avoiding this mistake.

#2. You've hit nothing on the flop other than two gut shots, lets count 1.5 outs for each so 3 outs, it is a big pot, but lets not get overly crazy each time this situation comes up, again should save you some BB.

Always sucks when you would have won, but honestley you shouldn't have been in this hand IMO anyway. Even if you weren't raised Pre-flop JTs in early position is a No No as far as my understanding of the game is.

I play the same limits as you do right now, haven't played as many hands, I would wager that if you can solidify your pre-flop play if this is a standard line for you, you'd save yourself a bit of cash.

My two cents,

Gl
Old 07-22-2005, 07:57 PM

Fold preflop. You can limp here not cold call. I guess you have to call the cap the second time around though.

Fold the flop. Yes you are getting nearly 15 to 1 here, but what are we drawing to? A BDSD and BDFD on a paired board that has been raised by the preflop capper, and MP1 lead out from nowhere, so this may get 3 bet back to you.

Call the turn. You are getting about 10 to 1 and will make up at least 2 BB on the turn, likely 3 or possibly 4. (if UTG1 pays us off too.)

Check raise the river.