Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Great Ideas

What do you yanks out there think is a great new entrepreneuruial idea in the USA?

I just think most the great ideas in the UK ultimately come from the US, whether its restaurants / coffe shops (McDonalds / Starbucks), poker (you have the WPT we have the EPT), plus so many others.

What have we got that you have taken? Dyson hoovers?? anything else. I think you are going to get Wagamamas too.

So what's hot in the US at the moment?

p.s. if you think its such a great idea and dont want to discuss it on the forum pm me and we can always look at it together.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Great Ideas

what the hell is a wagamama??
Old 07-22-2005, 12:33 PM

I like how you call them Dyson hoovers. Is that like Puffs kleenex?

Lately there have been overpriced ice cream stores like coldstone creamery and marble slab. But I don't see those with much staying power. Not sure the draw of ice cream in a cooler climate country either. Satellite radio?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What have we got that you have taken? Dyson hoovers??

[/ QUOTE ]

Tons of TV shows?

But as for what's coming to your side of the pond next, here's a hint: it rhymes with "Nasbar". Hahahahaha, ooh boy you're gonna have some nightmares tonight, gub'nah!
Old 07-22-2005, 12:47 PM

I hear that Krispy Kreme is taking a dive in the US? In the UK we've only had it for less than a year and love em.

Yeah Dyson hoovers isnt quite right. what about dyson vacuum cleaners. The guy is a legend in the UK - our only great inventor of the last 1000's of years.

Oh and i suppose we have JK Rowling too.....
Old 07-22-2005, 12:49 PM

Well, instead the iPod, you could have the ePod.

I think that the US should begin exporting its large, unwieldy construction projects that continue, largely unchanged, for the next 30 years.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:54 PM

Didn't somebody across the pond invent those thingees in the bottom of Guinness cans (and now bottles) that simulate a hand pour? Boddingtons have them now too. Clever that.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what the hell is a wagamama??

[/ QUOTE ]
it's a fancy asian noodle restaurant where waiters take your order on PDA's. cute place, but nothing revolutionary in terms of food though.

a lot of the "euro-urban" restaurant concepts haven't taken off in the US. the suburban markets still prefer the TGIF and Olive Garden type stuff, and the big cities tend to stick with the good 'ol mom and pop deli that's been around since 1834 and whatnot. for example, Pret A Manger hasn't done phenomenally well with their NYC test rollout despite being minority owned by McDonalds. Marche Movenpick seems to have flopped here as well. I would imagine Wagamama setting up in america would be met by a similar yawn.

oh, and tell the UK management when they set up here, chill on the techno music from 10am - 4pm. the yanks generally don't dance and eat at breakfast and lunchtime.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hear that Krispy Kreme is taking a dive in the US? In the UK we've only had it for less than a year and love em.

Yeah Dyson hoovers isnt quite right. what about dyson vacuum cleaners. The guy is a legend in the UK - our only great inventor of the last 1000's of years.

Oh and i suppose we have JK Rowling too.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Krispy Kreme's aren't taking a dive as a brand, so much as they expanded too rapidly, overshooting their demand.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:19 PM

yeah - i forget you guys have got Pret a Manger. Also regus (the serviced office centre) which does well here went into Chapter 11 in the States which surprises me as its an excellent concept.

I work in real estate and 2 things which havent caught on yet in the UK are

1. Self - storage - still a very fledgling market which is a surprise seeing as how tight houses are here (very small country but still has 60mill people). Suspect 1 reson is the high cost of land versus the low rents achieved.

2. Apart Hotels - whats the big one you guys have in New York? Not really happened here.

what else guys? there must be loads of new concepts that have come out over the last 1-2 years which have yet to be exported.

As for what can go the other way...i'll have a think but there must be some ideas