Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 06:01 PM

Default AK vs Strassa

he might know know its me cause i got a new name. he likes to bluff, regardless.

Party Poker (7 handed) converter

10/20 NL

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero Raises to $80. Villian Calls in MP.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero Bets 190, Villian Calls 190

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Villian bets $500. Hero Calls $500

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Villian bets $1500. Hero folds.

Final Pot:

I initially planned to push the turn, but got cold feet.

ps: bisons converter is all [censored] up.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: AK vs Strassa

I agree with your original plan, Strassa being Strassa he's more likely than not going to take a shot at you at some point in the hand especially if you slow up as you did on the turn and he will definitely use any scare cards against you. You've pretty clearly defined on your hand on the turn, that lets him blast you off the hand when the 3rd spade comes regardless of whether he has it. I really don't like letting him see the river on just a call on the turn. Once that 9 does come I think you have to dump it, there are just too many drawing hands have have either hit or become runner runner 2 pair here plus the always present set risk.

I'm assuming both of you are not extraordinarily deep since you don't mention it.

To Make Bisons work follow instructions in this thread.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&amp;fpart=1
Old 07-19-2005, 06:34 PM

Was this today? I really don't remember it at all. I think I recognized ur city but didnt remember it was you, but now I could probably put it all together.

Anyhow, for the record I'm kinda curious what strassa had hahaha... No joke I have no clue what I had here. Maybe it will come to me...
Old 07-19-2005, 07:06 PM

What kind of hand do you put him after your flop bet? One more barrel on the turn may better define his hand. I think check calling the turn here is bad play unless you are prepared to call a huge bet on the river.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:11 PM

Oh I think I remember this hand. Played yesterday right?

I definitely remember it.

-Jason
Old 07-20-2005, 10:39 AM

OK, what hand are you folding to?

You'd think any made hand strassa could have on the river, unless he had reason to believe you'd think he was bluffing, he wouldn't fire so strongly given how scary the board was. If he made a flush or flopped a set, he's gotta know that he'll chase out a lot of hands on that board with a big bet. So? Great bet to bluff with. It's a great spot for a second barrel after a strong turn bet.

Strassa frequently takes a line like this with a flopped set, loves to overbet made hands and bluffs alike, and could well take it with a K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] type drawing hand, but on an obviously scary board that river bet sends a statement to you to get out of the pot, and I think that's just the message strassa2 wanted to send.

He's probably going to reply "bwahahah I had 78s for the straight flush baatch", and then I'd have to apologize for my syndrome of never wanting to credit that man for a hand. In any case, I'd have looked him up.

Kings
Old 07-20-2005, 11:05 AM

Why are you not raising the turn? Because you have the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] so you know he's not on the nut flush draw?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:09 AM

Sorry, but how does checking the turn "define Hero's hand" as AK? If anything it reads as a continuation bet on a missed flop or perhaps (if strassa didn't know it was a 2+2'er he was playing against)a weakly played underpair scared of the ace.

I definitely think if you check the turn it should be with the intention of executing a c/r. Having never played against strassa but knowing a little of how he plays from what I've read here, he probably read your turn check as either weakness or pot control, your call further solidified his belief that you weren't that happy with your hand. The third spade offered him a good opportunity to take the pot away from you. Consensus, either lead the turn with a strong bet or go for the c/r. As played you probably have to reluctantly fold this river.

IMO strassa played this hand extremely well unless he actually hit his flush in which case he probably should've value bet the river for 800-1000 (but he probably did hit the flush and decided 1500 would look more like a bluff and therefore more likely to be called by Villain's AK, either way nh).
Old 07-20-2005, 11:27 AM

you say you're not giving him credit for a hand, but failed to mention what you put him on. what hands is he bluffing with here? what hands is he betting for value? over that range of hands, how many is kane beating?

the interesting part of the hand is the turn I think. betting can put kane in a tough spot, and checkraising won't get him to make a big mistake, I think I like the the check call.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-20-2005, 11:35 AM

YOu played the hand fine. There are not many hands you beat on the river. Results?