Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 08:04 AM

Default my button bet check-raised by the CO on flop

party 10/20

Loose passive utg limps, CO limps, I raise 7h7c on button, BB and limpers call.

flop Kh 5h 6c (8.5 SB)

3 checks to me, I bet, BB calls, UTG folds and the CO raises. I 3bet, BB folds, CO calls.

turn 5c (~8 BB)

CO checks, I bet, he raises, I fold.

My thought process after the flop checkraise:

Based on the few hands I've seen of him, CO raised preflop with premium hands, and bet out at flops with good hands, and seems like he would think enough to understand that this is a value checkraise, so I doubt he has a K. He also saw me call his river bet with my AK unimproved (and lose) so he can't think I'm likely to fold much of a hand.

Since he limped I conclude CO has either 55, 66 or a big draw. Could be A6h, Axh, maybe 87o. I have the 7h.

If I 3bet was pretty sure that the other 2 would fold and the CO would just call the 3bet and most likley check to me on the turn.

Given all those assumptions I 3bet planning to:

-check behind on a heart or a card that gives me a straight draw (3,4,8,9) then call any river bet unimproved
or
-bet any turn blank then not put any more money in.

I know a flop 4bet or a turn donkbet messes up that plan, but did I pretty much approach this right?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: my button bet check-raised by the CO on flop

I'm not crazy about the preflop raise. The BB seems pretty loose, so it's doubtful you're getting it 3-way. 4+-ways I don't see 77 holding up UI too often. I'd call and hope both blinds come along for when I make my set.

If you're reasonably sure UTG would have bet out with a good hand, then the 3-bet on the flop is maybe not too bad. I don’t like it with BB still in though. Less likely they’re both on a draw. If you also know BB is a fish who would call preflop and on the flop with little to nothing AND fold to your 3-bet, then Maybe…
I agree that it’s 3-bet or fold, but unless the situation’s perfect, it’s a fold. Even if nobody has a king, you’re very vulnerable with that board. CO likely has a strong draw or 56s.

After the flop play, turn is good. Can't give free card, but when he raises, he's definitely got you beat.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:02 PM

Raising preflop here sucks. I used to do it alot but its terrible. You're making the pot a size such that when you're ahead your opponents are correctly calling with overs but when you're behind you frequently have to put lots of chips in with no outs when a single overcard flops and theres some chance you're ahead. This hand is a perfect example, in the situations where you have the best hand on the flop you're still only winning a little better than half the time by showdown while if you have the worst hand you'll very rarely improve. If you hadn't raised preflop you would probably get to fold your hand on the flop.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:03 AM

How do you feel about raising 9's in this spot?

You have to give someone an awful lot of credit(especially at 10/20) to checkraise a draw for value, then they have to not get there, in a pot that is not that big. I think you can just fold the flop.