Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which Landscape material?
Other 2 13.33%
Pea Gravel 2 13.33%
1.5 inch River Rock 5 33.33%
Mulch (Bark Type) 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2005, 02:41 AM

Default End Game and Short Stack 4 players: Do you move all in?

***** Hand History for Game 2393588841 *****
6000/12000 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) (Tournament 14085759) - Wed Jul 20 01:35:14 EDT 2005
Table $10,000 Guaranteed Tuesday Night Poker(383418) Table 1 (Real Money) -- Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: MeFartSmelly (261200)
Seat 3: Crisp_86 (31524)
Seat 7: NeerPersaud (138813)
Seat 10: rekyl2 (83463)
rekyl2 posts small blind (3000)
MeFartSmelly posts big blind (6000)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Crisp_86 [ 4d, Kc ]

You have just received a bad beat from a big stack. You have a long way ahead of you for 1st or 2nd. Easy All in? You decide
Old 07-21-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Re: End Game and Short Stack 4 players: Do you move all in?

K high is about as good as it's gonna get. move it in.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:55 AM

go for it
Old 07-21-2005, 10:29 AM

Short handed and short stacked I would definitely push a wide range of hands here: any pair, any Ace, any King, most Queens, suited connectors, decent Jacks, etc.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:35 AM

This is an easy push. You will soon be blinded off, so pushing now and doubling will at least give you about 6 BB's - not great, but better than doubling later only to have 4 or fewer BB's. Moreover, you can easily be called by a wide range of lesser hands.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:00 AM

I don't know that this is necessarily an easy allin. There are a couple considerations here.

One is metagame -- you just received a big bad beat that crippled you, and people are going to think you are steaming. This is going to severely lower your fold equity, which is the main reason that it usually makes sense to push here.

The other reason your fold equity is so low is because the big stack, to whom an additional 24,000 chips in his BB is a pittance, is almost certainly going to call you.

So you're pushing in with pretty much zero fold equity, hoping to be at best a 60/40 favorite. I think it's closer than people are suggesting.

If you wait, you have a chance of one of three things happening. One, obviously, picking up a big hand in the next few hands. Second, people may be wary of raising into your BB since you have so many chips committed (and thus they have less FE), and you may get a free look at a flop in your BB. Third, you still have some FE left if it folds to your SB, and then have two free looks OTB and UTG before it's really desperation time.

I think I fold here.

edit: This is a probably a situation where an ICM would prove useful, but I didn't really feel like it =P
Old 07-21-2005, 11:06 AM

I think the key is that we are very much the short stack on the table so people are looking at us to bust out. We're about to pay the blinds which will severely decrease our folding equity. We only have enough left for a few rounds on a shorthanded table. I'm certainly not suggesting that this is an easy push in terms of wanting to get called. But it's easy in terms of not being left with many options and needing to take some risks to have any chance of moving up.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:04 PM

First off question, was it folded just around to the blinds? Probably no, and your talking first to act, in which case I think checking and hoping for a cheap flop, and folding to a raise. Here's the problem, you go all in here with a week hand, other stacks are thinking your steaming and I would make the call with 10/jack offsuit. People are just looking to bust you, and your small all in bet isn't much of a detterent. Even if it gets folded around to the small blind I still might fold this hand. Just think. Small blind is just looking to outlast you, and even a king/5 offsuit has you dominated, and an ace/2 offsuit your an underdog to. If you want to move up the pay scale, you have to hope your going to last one more orbit, and pick a better hand to go all in with than king/4. I'm curious what happened, my guess is you got called with an inferior hand, they got lucky and busted you, or you were just dominated from the get go. Am I right?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:08 PM

This question cant be answered without knowing the payout structure. Also, what range of hands do you think your opponents will call you with?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:12 PM

Default *Results*

Well I pussied out and folded, although I shouldnt have. However, the two big stacks got into a fight and the 2nd biggest stack moved all in against the chip leader and got busted. 280 more dollars for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Although if I had moved all in I would have tripled up since I would have hit my King on the river and had a good chance of getting 2nd.