Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Check or Bet?

Online tourney, table is loose, double the blind raise are usually called. BB very aggressive player

100/200 blinds

BB 8000
UTG 3500
Hero 4200

Hero picks up red Jacks in middle position

UTG raises to 400
folded all the way to Hero, Hero raises to 800
folded all the way to BB. BB calls, UTG calls

pot 2500
flop K 10 2 rainbow

BB and UTG check
Hero??

Hero bets 1000, BB calls, UTG folds

turn blank,

BB checks, HERO???

Hero checks as well.

River Q

BB bets 600
Hero???

Hero calls 600
Old 07-19-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Check or Bet?

I hate Jacks.

Hero has 20 BB, There's 3 1/2 in the pot.. Either A) Push the flop, take it down, or B) Call, keep the pot small so you can get out if big paint hits. You've practically committed yourself with your raise, because you must make a continuation bet that will leave you with only 11 BB.

Push and take it down, maybe get called by a smaller pair, or call and hope for rags to hit the board. I don't like the double-raise to 800.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:11 PM

I would definitely raise in this situation. I'd want to either win the pot pre-flop or at least get heads up against UTG with position. But you've got to stop with these weak raises. You mention that "double the blind raise are usually called". Well, they should be. They give great odds to speculative hands. With 700 in the pot when it gets to you, you should raise it to 1100 or so. 800 is just not enough.

The continuation bet on the flop is okay. I also don't mind the check on the turn but it's very read dependent. I'll probably push in that situation as often as I will check. You've got to call the river because of the odds. I don't like pushing as I think you only get called by hands that are ahead of you and I don't think he'll fold Kx.

So really, I think the only thing you should have done was to raise more pre-flop.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would definitely raise in this situation. I'd want to either win the pot pre-flop or at least get heads up against UTG with position. But you've got to stop with these weak raises. You mention that "double the blind raise are usually called". Well, they should be. They give great odds to speculative hands. With 700 in the pot when it gets to you, you should raise it to 1100 or so. 800 is just not enough.

The continuation bet on the flop is okay. I also don't mind the check on the turn but it's very read dependent. I'll probably push in that situation as often as I will check. You've got to call the river because of the odds. I don't like pushing as I think you only get called by hands that are ahead of you and I don't think he'll fold Kx.

So really, I think the only thing you should have done was to raise more pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

would you stop being so right all the goddamn time...my post count is dwindling.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:53 PM

lol. I've been out of the country for 2 weeks and have to make up for lost posts!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 06:22 PM

BB ends up taking the pot with AQ
Old 07-19-2005, 06:28 PM

So he actually made a decent call on the flop. You're continuation bet was on the smallish side and he had pretty good odds to call. You could have bet a little more (on the flop) but it probably wouldn't have made a difference. The only real problem with the hand was pre-flop. Besides that you played it fine.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:53 PM

PF: Raise to T1200. JJ doesn't play well against multiple players. You only want one or zero.

ATF: check or bet T1800. When you put a probe bet in of T1000 you are inviting someone to take the pot from you. K should check here to the PF raiser.

Turn: With one player left who didn't raise your ATF bet, you need to put him all in here.

River: Any hand that you could beat got there at the river. Fold in disgust.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River: Any hand that you could beat got there at the river. Fold in disgust.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero is getting 7.5 to 1 odds on the river. Folding is not an option.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So he actually made a decent call on the flop. You're continuation bet was on the smallish side and he had pretty good odds to call.

how did you calculate the odds? If I were in the BB position the only outs would be a Jack for a straight. You could count the aces as outs but I wouldnt really count on that. Chasing the inside straight and or ace gives you 4 outs maybe 7 (25% max).pot odds offering 2.5:1. And there is no reason not to put Hero on AK.