Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Willis?
awesome 69 80.23%
not awesome 17 19.77%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2005, 01:17 AM

Default $15+$1 vs. $25+$2 turbos on Stars

I feel like the $15+$1 turbos on Stars are very not soft. So I'd like to hear other's opinions on that fact. This leaves me with a few choices. My BR on Stars right now is about $300. I have no problem moving back down if I lose a good chunk of this BR.

Note: I only ask the question because I really think the play at $16 is abnormally hard (I keep hearing about how soft the higher limit games are in the $30-$50 range) so I'm wondering if it's just that level and I should move up. I also seem to recall in this vein a few months ago.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Re: $15+$1 vs. $25+$2 turbos on Stars

i have noticed the same thing (very small sample size) but the 6.50s are easy and straight forward and the 16s are tough from my experience. i'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks this - i thought there was no way these could really be hard, just that i was not playing well. i don't even want to play the 16s any more - i just multi the 6.50s and hope to build a br up to the bigger games.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought there was no way these could really be hard, just that i was not playing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know... but I really truly feel like the play is much better. But I don't consider myself good enough to actually make that judgement for sure.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:44 AM

if you think the $16's are rough, i thought the $27's were very very hard. I made over $2,000 at the $16's over 500 tourneys at the $16's, but couldnt' beat the $27's after 500, (down 30 buyins) so i moved to party's $22's, which were very soft.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:10 AM

Come over to Party, you know you want to.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:50 AM

If you think the $16's and $27's are tough on Stars, you've got some leaks. I don't want to be too harsh, you need to re-examinate some things if you're breaking even, or even have <10% ROI. Is there a consistent way you're busting out? How long has this "bad stretch" been?

And you're fooling yourself if you think you're going to find softer play at the higher limits. You probably know that though.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:10 AM

do you happen to know a player named ELEVENTY?
(taking a random guess that it might be you.. ^^)
and
YES PS turbo 16 and 27 should be very tough to beat lately.
I know bunch of good players who have recently started mad-multi-tabling those games.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're playing the Turbos on Stars, I can't really think of that much reason not to move to Party. The Turbos are an absurdly quick structure - the few times I've played them, we've barely finished an orbit before we're on level 3. The low rake is nice, but you really can't get many hands in at all before push/fold time. I realize that for some people this might be a nice thing, but part of the reason that I like playing at Stars is because I get more game before entering that stage.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think the $16's and $27's are tough on Stars, you've got some leaks. I don't want to be too harsh, you need to re-examinate some things if you're breaking even, or even have <10% ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

When was the last time you played these? I recall a post a month or two ago about how much harder they got all of a sudden (right around when Party added the 75/150 level).

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a consistent way you're busting out? How long has this "bad stretch" been?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not statistically significant. It's more of a gut feeling than anything else. Really the problem is that the players in these games don't let themselves get bullied and do a lot of well timed aggression on the bubble. A lot of my ROI in the $6.50s was playing the bubble correctly when my opponents wouldn't; the problem is there's even less time to wait for a hand than there is on Party.

[ QUOTE ]
And you're fooling yourself if you think you're going to find softer play at the higher limits. You probably know that though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not expecting to find softer play at much higher limits, like $50+ buyins. I'm saying that the $16s might possibly be just one rare exception. Though I have zero experience in the $27s, so that's why I made the OP.

I dunno. A lot of posters have told me that they think I have the theory down in most cases. Yet most of the time in the $16s I really don't think I have a skill edge. Down to 5 handed it seems there at least 3 people who know what they're doing every single time.