Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 11:32 AM

Default QQ - check turn?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

I'm pretty sure this turn bet is not the best play since the pot is so small. Comments?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: QQ - check turn?

I don't see why the size of the pot matters. You should bet because you are likely to have the best hand, your opponent is not going to fold an ace or a hand like JT, and you have a redraw even if he has a king.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:57 AM

I agree with sam - bet for value. This is no time to get fancy, we've got a very strong hand.

Surf
Old 07-18-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with sam - bet for value. This is no time to get fancy, we've got a very strong hand.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, bet.

Krishan
Old 07-18-2005, 12:07 PM

Yea, I think I check the turn. I can't see betting the turn as for value. He'll check-raise if you're behind and fold if you're ahead. A free card can't really hurt you, but could improve you. Checking the turn may induce a bluff on the river though, gaining a bet you wouldn't have otherwise gotten on the turn.

There's the possibility of a bluff check-raise on the turn from him, or a 2-pair check-raise, but I'd need a read to think I could bet for value on the turn against a tricky player.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, I think I check the turn. I can't see betting the turn as for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an incorrect assumption. At the 5/10, players will call here with all sorts of made hands. Any Ace, any Queen, possibly even a lone J or T, any 2 pair, and any worse set. You'll often be called by a 9 as well, which you wouldn't have wanted to give a free card to.

Additionally, bluffs on the river will be rare on a board this dangerous, even if we check through the turn.

Surf
Old 07-18-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yea, I think I check the turn. I can't see betting the turn as for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an incorrect assumption. At the 5/10, players will call here with all sorts of made hands. Any Ace, any Queen, possibly even a lone J or T, any 2 pair, and any worse set. You'll often be called by a 9 as well, which you wouldn't have wanted to give a free card to.

Additionally, bluffs on the river will be rare on a board this dangerous, even if we check through the turn.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, good to know. At 3/6 seems like people still fold right/left on a 4-straight board, at least when it's a face card that would make the straight. It's almost like a Clarkmeister thing, I nearly always bet out on such a board if I'm first to act.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:32 PM

The reason I think checking may have a higher expectation (though I'm not sure) is a combination of the following factors:

1) I may induce a bluff on the river from a hand that would have folded the turn. I gain one bet.
2) I may get called on the river by a relatively weak hand because of my weakness on the turn. A hand that might have folded the turn. I gain one bet.
3) I get a free card in case I'm behind. A king will call and maybe 3-bet the river. The times I'm behind I lose less. If I bet I think I have to call a turn raise and a river bet in case he he has a two pair or a lower set. So in the cases that he has a K I risk losing 3 bets if I bet the turn and only when if I check.

Against:
1) I give him a chance to split the pot if he catches a four outer. The chances of that happening is 9%. Had the pot been bigger it would have made sense to protect it but here it seems better to me to extract a little more from bluffs and worse hands and lose less when behind.
2) An ace or even a T may call both a turn and a river bet giving me two bets as opposed to one bet when I check the turn.

It still seems to me the pros of checking outweigh the cons but I am in no way sure and would like to hear more arguments for either.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:36 PM

Giving a free card can work both for and against you here. Some hands that would not call a turn bet will improve but still be second best. These hands will often call (or bluff) on the river because of your weakness on the turn.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:45 PM

I'm with the others here. Too much value to worry about a K here. Any number of single pair hands will call, and some strong 2 pair hands might even raise. Likewise you're drawing to 10 outs for a win and 3 more for a chop if he has the K, so a c/r really isn't the end of the world here equity wise.