Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Three hands from my last session

Hi there. I'm fairly new here. I've only played seriously for a month or two, but I'm working hard on improving my game by reviewing my hand histories and reading (and re-reading) TOP, SSHE and HEFAP, combined with following this forum closely.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

In this hand I induced a bluff on the river by checking the turn. Was it wrong of me to give SB a free card? I wanted to mix things up a bit and implement something new into my game. I hated my hand when that king showed up (but I still had to call since I asked for a bluff).

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB

No bad beat story here. I'm just wondering if another line would've been possible. What if I check-raise the turn, representing A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? CO was a tight, fairly solid player. Or is to long a shot, trying to make him fold here?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (9.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ah Ac (one pair, aces).
CO has Js Jc (flush, king high).
Outcome: CO wins 11.75 BB. </font>

In this last hand, I didn't have the expressed odds to cold-call on the turn. But did I have the implied odds? I thought about it for a good ten seconds, crossing my fingers and feeling a bit fishy, before I hit that call button.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (8.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 07-18-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Three hands from my last session

First, you belong in Micro-Limit. That forum will help you improve faster, and you'll learn some basic ideas you lack.

[ QUOTE ]
In Hand 1 I missed a bet by checking my vulnerable top pair on the turn, allowing my opponent both a cheaper showdown and a free shot to outdraw me.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Hand 2 is fine until the river. You have to bet, planning to fold to a raise. Attempting to checkraise the turn would be awful, and the reasons you gave are odd indeed.

Hand 3 needs to be folded on the flop.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Three hands from my last session

Hand 1: SB bet the flop and apparently has something. If it's a hand like JT, you're going to get called twice and you're missing a bet by not betting the turn.

If, instead, he's got a hand like 65 or A5, he's got 9 outs against you. He won't fold the turn, but you should at least make him pay to draw. And he might call you again on the river unimproved.

Although K5 and K2 are possible, I king of doubt the king on the river helped SB, unless he already had you beat (with KJ). Anyway, I like the river call.

Hand 2: I think your turn bet is fine, and I doubt Villain would have folded to a checkraise. There is some danger of whiffing on a checkraise, also, and there's some chance too that if you checkraised, what you'd be checkraising is a made flush.

That said, getting two bets out of Villain's actual flush/set draws on the turn instead of one, if possible, would be nice. But I would have just led the turn, and I don't think checkraising would have saved you the pot.

(Also, a successful turn checkraise of Villain's JJ might prompt him to fold the river unimproved when he would have called you again on a river blank otherwise. If this is the case, then that cuts into the value aspect of the checkraise.)

Hand 3: I think the turn call is close. One potential problem is that MP3 may have just made a flush, in which case two of the cards you want to see are in his hand. Also, if UTG+1 3-bets, then that's not good for you. But I wouldn't really be expecting him to 3-bet, and if he calls instead, then that's good. Even if he folds, you're not that far from having the immediate odds to call.

I guess I think the turn call is slightly loose, but I hardly ever fold nut flush draws, so it's possible I would have just auto-called the turn, had I been playing the hand. One problem, though, is that it quite likely will be difficult to win a lot of bets on the river if you do catch, since the board will be so scary.

Anyway, in my mind, a bigger question about the hand is this: Why did you call the flop? (I think you should have folded.)