Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Confused about villain\'s call, am I missing something?

Lateish in a cheap ($2/$0) MTT on PokerStars. We were in the "money" but just barely. Blinds had just gone up to 600/1200/75 and there's no reason I can think of that people would have considered my play out of line. I'd raised with 55 and called a reraise from AK which I survived. I'd called a raise with KQs and lost to 88 a few hands before. (The raiser had raised in similar position with JJ a dozen or so hands earlier.) Neither of these strikes me as "fishy."

My plan was to try to double up to a larger stack and rather than worrying about passing a few more players to get another 50 cents. So, that said, I'm not cranky about losing this hand. But I am confused about why I got called and I figure that either means it was a weak call or that there's something I need to learn.

Why would I (as the BB) call this pre-flop raise?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (9 handed) converter

CO (t4491)
Button (t16194)
SB (t13765)
Villain (t19716)
UTG (t12582)
UTG+1 (t4824)
Hero (t7141)
MP2 (t2140)
MP3 (t12660)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t1200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t7066</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Villain calls t5866, UTG folds.

Flop: (t14732) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t14732) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t14732) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t14732

Villain has 8h Qs (one pair, queens).
Hero has 7s 8s (one pair, sevens).
Outcome: Villain wins t14732.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Confused about villain\'s call, am I missing something?

[ QUOTE ]
a cheap ($2/$0) MTT on PokerStars.

[/ QUOTE ]

question answered
Old 07-18-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

question answered

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying it's a weak call from the villain which is to be expected in small-stakes tournaments? Does this hold true even for the players who've made it past 90+% of the field?

I tried running some odds calculations to see if I could figure out what might make that call legit. He was getting roughly 1.6:1 which would be enough to call if he put me on an underpair or middle suited connectors. Not enough to call Ax (x&gt;8) or 99 or higher.

Looks like it was a bad call (based on the information available to him) which turned out OK (for him).
Old 07-18-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

question answered

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying it's a weak call from the villain which is to be expected in small-stakes tournaments? Does this hold true even for the players who've made it past 90+% of the field?

I tried running some odds calculations to see if I could figure out what might make that call legit. He was getting roughly 1.6:1 which would be enough to call if he put me on an underpair or middle suited connectors. Not enough to call Ax (x&gt;8) or 99 or higher.

Looks like it was a bad call (based on the information available to him) which turned out OK (for him).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a $2 MTT, weak calls will be the norm, especially when someone has a chance to bust another player. He probably either made it here as a luckbox, or against equally weak players. Just becuase you are in the money doesn't mean a thing about the quality of play at this buy-in level.