Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 11:25 AM

Default SSH - Page 96

There is an example here where hero has Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

After a bet, the book says hero should raise. But why? Can someone dumb it down for me?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: SSH - Page 96

Without rereading it, I would guess cause yeah, you may be behind to a jack, but you have mid pair, overcard and a backdoor flush - possibly the best hand. Raising sees where you are at??
Old 08-10-2005, 11:52 AM

Read the section on protecting your hand, and it should make sense. The key here is that the pot is relatively big in this example - so you want to maximise your chances of winning by forcing out people with weak draws. If the pot were 4SB, this would normally be an easy fold.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is an example here where hero has Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

After a bet, the book says hero should raise. But why? Can someone dumb it down for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is going to sound really condescending, but I thought SSH already did a fabulous job of explaining it. I can see asking questions about the reasoning, but if you can't even understand SSH's explanation, I have to wonder if you need to go back and re-read the earlier sections more thoroughly.

In a nutshell, the pot is big, you've got an overcard and a backdoor flush, plus your pair. If you can drive people out with a raise you're better off. You'd hate to hit your 2-pair/trips and get draw out on the river by a flush or straight. Raising now drives out those players.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:44 PM

the way to think about it is... nobody bet until late position -- he might not have a Jack to bet here and I have enough of a chance here to at least call... but raising is better than calling because hands lik KQ AQ KT 98 T9 might fold for 2 bets but call for 1 bet... this increases your chance of winning.

I am not looking at the pot odds right now but as I remember, the key assumption here is that the button will bet into a crowd without top pair enough of the time to make a raise correct here...

if he has a Jack a lot here, you should fold - IMO... if he will bet here often holding something you are ahead of -- you should raise. The point is... don't call in this spot.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:16 PM

Say you raise here. Everybody folds but the better who calls.

The turn is a blank, and the better bets again. What do you do now?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The very same play with a good explanation can be found in Theory of Poker p.88.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:12 PM

the SSH example is a multiway pot... the TOP example is not clear but I think that is a heads-up situation (with no back door flush draw)...

<<The turn is a blank, and the better bets again. What do you do now?>>

If you raised the flop and he called, you have to lead the turn... If you get raised there, its time to lay it down --unless you improved to at least a flush draw.

If he merely calls your turn bet --- you can bet or check-call on the river -- it depends on the player... will he call with Ace high in this spot? this is totally player-specific... most players with Ace-high here probably won't bet and probably won't call with something worse if you bet again on the end... but against someone who is loose and aggressive, they may bet on the end with something you beat. A Jack isn't going to fold the river and probably neither is A7 or K7... I would check-call on river as my default play (with no read).