Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 12:00 PM

Default 2-4, stealing turns into nut draw

Playing 2-4 nl on Prima poker. Most people this table like to trap a bit too much for their own good, but I have no real reads on most of the people involved in this hand, just that they have geenrally folded to my preflop raises if I make them big enough. Most people probably see me as a bit of a calling station or someone who can pay them off. I just rebought after paying off a backdoor flush huge overbet on river to my set. I have about 380. Everyone else has me covered.

There are 4 limpers to me on button. I have K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I raise to 24, trying to steal, instead i get three callers. Three take the flop of

A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] which gives me the nut flush draw. It is checked to me and there is 102 in the pot. What's my line
Old 07-15-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: 2-4, stealing turns into nut draw

[ QUOTE ]
There are 4 limpers to me on button. I have K 9 I raise to 24, trying to steal,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad spot to attempt a steal

[ QUOTE ]
A 6 7 which gives me the nut flush draw. It is checked to me and there is 102 in the pot. What's my line

[/ QUOTE ]

Check....You're very unlikely to take down this pot by betting and may get checkraised (which would be bad)....Check and hope for a club
Old 07-15-2005, 12:21 PM

I would bet about 3/4 the pot here, and represent a big Ace, as you did pre-flop. With $100 in the pot already, you don't mind taking it down here. However, if you're called, you've got 9 outs to the nut flush, and even if you miss on the turn, chances are you buy yourself a free river card by betting the flop when it's checked to you.

ChewyMint
Old 07-15-2005, 12:27 PM

Ehh, i dont mind the pf raise, given that you are OTB, might wanna raise more like 30 ish with so many limpers.
On the flop when its checked to you, i think u should also check it. If it was bet, then a raise is a decent option, representing an Ace, but check behind and hope a club falls.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:31 PM

what position are the 3 callers in?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:33 PM

I don't think I'd ever bet this draw here. Take a free card, as this is one of the benefits of your pf raise (which I agree should be a bit bigger if you're trying to take the pot down right there and / or get it heads up).
Old 07-15-2005, 01:47 PM

One more thing to note. When I raised preflop, the small blind called very very quicky, which lead me to believe that he was slowplaiyng a big hand, or had a pocket pair and this was an easy call to try and flop a set. As well, the other caller was an UTG limper.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:06 PM

big pot, perfect position, play this standard. Bet 80-100ish on flop, chk behind turn, chk/fld river (or if you hit do w/e you think will get the most $$ in- the nuts shouldnt b too hard to play in this hand). If you check this here you are so unbelievably ugly.

-durrrr
Old 07-15-2005, 05:04 PM

I wouldnt say I always would or always wouldnt check or bet. What I would do here depends on several things.....

1) how often will a continuation bet allow me to check and get a free card on the river if I miss on the turn?
2) How often will a continuation bet be raised, forcing me to fold.
3) How likely am I to face a bet on the turn if i check the flop.
4) how big is that bet likely to be.

I lean towards betting up to 3/4 pot here if the decision is close to give me a chance to win the pot right there, or take a free card on the turn and to disguise my hand a bit if I do hit.

Theres no point in betting here if you have no chance to win right there AND the bet doesnt significantly increase your chances of having the option to check the turn. But I think taking a free card means you mostly miss, and have to fold to a bet on the turn.

Bingo
Old 07-15-2005, 05:12 PM

Check. It looks like a bet from you here will very likely not win you the pot - not with a crowd. You will piss glass if you are CRed after putting another 75-100 in.

I often find myself getting in these situations and betting - ignoring the voice of reason and listening to the inner bully. It's a lot easier to look at it afterward and see the right course so I sure can't throw stones if you did bet.

- Jim