Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Looking for advice on mixed game structure

I'm looking to host a small stakes mixed game. I definitely want to include NL Texas Hold'em, PL Omaha (High and/or 8s or better), and am also interested in including 7 card stud and triple draw lowball. For the Hold'em and Omaha, I'd prefer to have 0.1/0.2 blinds with a $20 max buy-in.

Does anybody have any advice on how to structure the rest of the game? I've never hosted or really played in a mixed game before, but I'm wanting to branch out from hold'em. Any suggestions for games that go well together and blinds, antes, and betting structure would be very much appreciated (as would any other advice for holding a small stakes mixed game). Thanks.

-cj
Old 07-15-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Looking for advice on mixed game structure

I wouldn't go higher that pot-limit on the stud and triple draw- I think proper strategy would be too tight and too much "push all of the chips on the first cards".

To save the hassle of collecting antes from players away from the table, etc, I'd have the dealer put in a dead ante of $0.25 during the stud game. Triple draw lowball can just go with blinds, similar to the board games you already have outlined.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:35 PM

I was thinking of play stud as limit (or spread limit) -- any suggestion on a good size for the betting rounds? I like the dead ante and playing PL triple draw. Thanks for the suggestions.

-cj
Old 07-15-2005, 02:40 PM

At the $20 cap, for limit stud I'd want about 30x the BB in my stack. So, $0.25/$0.50 limit stud? Or $0.20/0.40, to fall in with your chips for the blinds.
Anything higher is going to eat up a lot of that cap.

Something I read about by Dan Negreanu- at the big limit mixed game, they sometimes play with a cap on the amount lost per hand. It's a ceiling on how much can be invested in any one hand. Once the betting reaches that total, everyone is considered all-in for that amount and no more betting is allowed.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:25 PM

In my home game we play 1-2 PL dealer's choice by orbit.

For stud games we play Mississippi stud, I posted a thread on it in the stud forum a couple weeks ago, it works well for pot limit games. For the ante we have the dealer post an ante of $3 that covers everyone's ante.

Heres a link to that thread if you're interested.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1

Later

PG