Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 11:03 PM

Default NL bankroll

for online and live.

I've heard 10 buy-ins to 50 buy-ins.

what do you suggest from personal experience?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Re: NL bankroll

If you don't know, the answer the answer is 20. If you do know the answer, the answer is 15.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard 10 buy-ins to 50 buy-ins.

what do you suggest from personal experience?

[/ QUOTE ]
My personal experience as a mathematician tells me to trust the mathematics rather than anecdotes from people whose win rates may be very different from yours. These threads tend to degenerate into a series of stories of larger and larger downswings, then people say they don't feel they play their best game unless they are ridiculously overbankrolled. Then someone says you need more for multitabling, and then someone explains that you don't unless you play worse while multitabling. This thread has played out in forum after forum.

What the math says: You need c*standard deviation^2/win rate, where c is a number that depends on your personal risk tolerance and your ability to move down to smaller games if you hit a bad streak. Most people seem to be happy using a value of c from 2 to 4. In a very soft online NL game, your win rate may be up to 40 big blinds/100, with a standard deviation of 100 big blinds/100. In a tougher game, a solid winner may have a win rate only 1/4 as larger, but the same standard deviation. A marginal winner may have the same standard deviation, but a much lower win rate, which greatly increases the safe bankroll level. For comparison, in limit, the standard deviation is usually about 15 big bets/100.

My anecdotal evidence: I have played hundreds of hours of online NL. The most I have ever dropped at any level is about 5 buy-ins, but I've had several of those.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:52 AM

Math is fun so you should listen to the above post, but here's some opinion for spice.
It depends if you're a winning player or not. In my experience all you need is 10 buyins for the winning player because you should quickly be making more and 20 for the player who's a little scared and intimidated and maybe moving up in stakes. Most i've ever dropped is 4. Bring more if you're multitabling. If you're really scared, bring 100 buyins and come to my table. That's all i got,sox lost tonight and i'm tired. Because i'm feeling whimsical, here's a link to something so funny i almost peed myself. enjoy.
http://www2.collegehumor.com/movies/149151/
sox