Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 10:55 PM

Default What would you do?

It's a NL $50 LH game on Empire. Hero has $128.80 and Villian has $89.15. Blinds are $.25/.50.
Hero is recognized to be loose-agressive, Villian is recognized to be solid-agressive.
Hero holds: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Pre-flop:
Everyone folds to Hero who is one away from the button. Hero raises to $2, button folds, SB folds, Villain calls from the BB.
Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. ($4.05)
Villain checks. Hero bets $4.05. Villian raises doubling the bet to $8.10.
Pot is now $16.20 and Hero needs to call $4.05.

What would you do?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: What would you do?

I don't think I made the right play... but I went all in at that point. I know it sounds like overkill, but my hand was a strong, but vulnerable one... I usually go all in with strong, but vulnerable hands and usually get people to fold or unprofitably call.

The reason I went all in is:
1. I already beat this same player in a pot previously... so he might think I would just be bluffing and would call me with A5s or maybe even 56s. He knew that I was an agressive player.
2. I only needed to worry about 6 unlikely holdings that would beat me: AA, KK, QQ, 55, 44, or 22. Another holding that would beat me would be 54s. The reason they are unlikely is with the big pairs, he probably would of raised me preflop or bet out on the flop. The small pairs because more often than not he will not flop a set... And there would be nothing magical that I can do if he did have a set.
3. He would most likely (like many NL $50 players) call with an overpair like 66, 77, 88, 99, 10-10, especially if they know I am agressive.
4. It's usually my style to play fast... even if it means overkill. Like Doyle, I usually want people to know that if they play back at me, I will put them to the test for all their money.

So anyway, he quickly called my all in and at the river showed me A3s for the flopped straight. Needless to say... I lost.
Looking back now, I regret my decision (I don't know if I wouldn't do it again, more often than not, I would have him beat by making them fold or making him call with a second best hand) and it's been on my mind ever since... Any feedback would be appreciated... You can flame me and call me stupid for playing it the way I did... heh I'm still learning [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 07-13-2005, 11:09 PM

i;d call and see how he acts on the turn
Old 07-13-2005, 11:11 PM

not a good play. nothing this 'solid' player calls w/ that you beat.

you could make it an additional 20-25 on the flop if you have to play back. (i say call) that way, you send him the message you have a hand but you can fold to a push. if you raise his min CR, no way he pushes this flop (or even calls) w/ a hand you beat
Old 07-13-2005, 11:17 PM

Going all-in on the flop is uneccesary. Unless your fairly sure that your opponent will call an all-in with 88,99, etc, theres no reason to push your chips in.

Call and see a turn. I think a c/c on a non-scare turn would be my play, hoping for a cheap showdown by the river.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:23 PM

all in was horrible, just call the flop