Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 09:10 AM

Default Problems with my VPIP.

Ok, I don't know how you guys manage to get your VPIP:s up to 18-20 without playing shitty dominated hands in bad positions. My VPIP is 14, and for my last 15k hands it's 13.
I play full ring on Party NL50 and NL100. My winrate is still decent (but it seems to be decreasing with my VPIP) but should I still be worried for my girlish VPIP?

Here are my staring hands in general:
Raise from any position: AA-JJ, AK
Raise in MP-LP: AQ, AJ (LP only) TT (LP ONLY), sometimes 9 9.
(fold A J in EP and limp A Q)

Small-medium PP:s I limp from any position and follow the 5-10 rule for calling raises.

SC:s I limp in LP (if not first in) and in MP with alot of limpers before me. I follow the 5/10 rule if I have position.

I limp suited gappers and 2-gappers and sometimes 3-gappers in LP if there are 2+ limpers before me. I call raises with gappers and sometimes 2-gappers if it's multiway and stacks warrant it.

I limp A Xs LP with limpers before me and call raises if it's multiway and stacks warrant it.

Some of the hands I limp in LP (if limpers before me) I will raise first or second in occationally to mix things up.

Am I missing something?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Problems with my VPIP.

a few things:

1) what's the 5/10 rule?

2) do you ever raise from button or CO with a decent non-premium hand after 1 or 2 limpers just to try and collect the weak money?

3) What about AT, QJ, KJ, KT, KQ, JT suited or not? How do you play these?

Marlow
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2005, 09:18 AM

Am I missing something?

Yes, you're not playing poker you're playing hands. Learn how to play poker; read a book and start over. You've got to push edges, steal blinds rather than use this mechanical system you've defined.

Against different opponents you must play hands differently, etc.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:23 AM

You're missing big suited cards.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I missing something?

Yes, you're not playing poker you're playing hands. Learn how to play poker; read a book and start over. You've got to push edges, steal blinds rather than use this mechanical system you've defined.

Against different opponents you must play hands differently, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Here are my staring hands in general

[/ QUOTE ]

These are not written in stone. I steal blinds, adjust to opponents etc. I can't post every single move I make in one post, now can I?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're missing big suited cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I usualli limp them in LP except K Qs where I'll raise it up first or second in. I probably raise K Qo first or second in in LP aswell. A To I'll often open raise in LP. KTo, KJo I hardly play at all unless I'm stealing. Should I?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:39 AM

Specifically...
Occasionally steal blinds from the button or CO with anything. Sometimes raise any pair from the CO or button if there are few limpers (gives you a chance to steal if you miss your set). Play a hand out of position every now and then (to change it up). Play any hand from the SB and BB if you can limp and there are a lot of callers.

Generally speaking, I play preflop like you do and my VP$IP is about 21.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) what's the 5/10 rule?

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.winningonlinepoker.com/
"A good rule of thumb

Bob Ciaffone and Stewart Reuben present a good rule of thumb about no-limit hold 'em: with a hand such as a suited connector or small pair in good position, you should call preflop if it costs you less than five percent of your stack, and fold if it costs you more than ten percent. ('The rule of five and ten') In between, you have a close decision that depends on other factors, such as how well the opponents play, and just how good your position is."
Old 07-14-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) what's the 5/10 rule?

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.winningonlinepoker.com/
"A good rule of thumb

Bob Ciaffone and Stewart Reuben present a good rule of thumb about no-limit hold 'em: with a hand such as a suited connector or small pair in good position, you should call preflop if it costs you less than five percent of your stack, and fold if it costs you more than ten percent. ('The rule of five and ten') In between, you have a close decision that depends on other factors, such as how well the opponents play, and just how good your position is."

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, atleast I find position much more important when regarding SC:s than PP:s
Old 07-14-2005, 09:51 AM

I sometimes play trash from the button if there are a few weak limpers that I think I can outplay later. I usually try this against players with above-average VP$IPs, low PFA, and low WSD%.