Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 12:20 AM

Default How many hands is too many hands?

I play about 1000 hands a day, is that a lot? It seems to me that its way too much, but then again I play 4 tables at once, I think I would win more if I played less hands, because a lot of times ill get stuck on a terrible table because I am not really paying as much attention as I could. Obviously game selection is key in omaha high low, I mean when a table is full of rocks it is very difficult to get much money out of people. How many hands do you guys play? How many tables? I have been thinking of cutting it down because a lot of times, tables will practically die without me noticing, ill notice that there is suddenly 3 people when there was 10 about 5 minutes ago, but ill have posted the blind several times before I notice and not made any adjustments because I have to change my game when its short handed obviously.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Re: How many hands is too many hands?

I play a lot of hands in a day if I'm trying to clear a bonus or something, but not nearly this many. There is no question that playing your "A" game at one juicy table will earn you more than playing your "C" game (or autopilot) at four tables with a rocky line up. And I don't think any kind of rake-back will compensate you for the difference in your poker income in this trade off.

I would play fewer tables and give them more attention unless I was clearing a bonus.

BTW

4 tables @ 50 hands per hour = 200 hands per hour max.
1,000 hands per day is over 5 hours in my experience.

It is my opinion that playing internet poker for 5+ hours a day is very unhealthy. Take a couple of weeks off. If you have trouble with this idea, you may have a problem. I obviously don't know you, but take it for what it's worth.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:02 AM

I play between 6-8 hours a day 4 tables at a time, I will average between 800-1200 hands a day. Nah I dont have a problem, im just a student out for the summer who is bored out of his mind, LOL. Yeah ive noticed that my results for the day are much and I mean much better when I play 2 tables rather than 4, but I hear people say more hands = more money so much, it gets to me, its like that makes sense, so I should play more hands. You didnt put your numbers and tables, just want to see how much people play.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:19 AM

I started making the same mistakes and losing
hands playing more than 2 tables, now I stick
to two and do my "A" game. Of note, I also found
I do better when I stick to the same type of game
at the same time. That's me. Im winning more BB/Hour
but that might be simply because my game has improved
overall or because I am on a good run at the ring games.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tables will practically die without me noticing

[/ QUOTE ]

You answered your own question here. I never play more than 2 tables to leave room to watch for new ones to start and try to skip out when a juicier spot presents. Rare when I get in more than 50 hands at a table.

I think you're playing too many hours, too. It's one thing if you're just killing time, but that's not going to improve your game as much as 3-4 hours playing, 2 hours reviewing.

I don't suppose you set goals for yourself? Try some rudimentary goal setting (even a trigger event for stopping). For a while I just played 400 hands/day, using a double-counterfeit after that to signal that it's time to stop.

You learn a lot more reviewing hands you've played where you know the outcome than by collecting more hands and not reviewing.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:51 PM

Ok ill stop the madness, didnt know I was the only one playing this much, I thought everyone did it, guess not.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:55 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

I play four tables at a time, but only for about 2, maybe 3 hour-long sessions. And maybe two total sessions max, in a day (but then again, I'm only semi-pro and still work for a living)

I also have a rakeback deal, which helps. Get yourself Poker Tracker and PokerAce HUD and you'll know when a table is rocky and when it's loose much more easily.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:02 PM

"PokerAce HUD and you'll know when a table is rocky and when it's loose much more easily."

What is that? Can I get a link?
Old 07-13-2005, 02:40 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
"PokerAce HUD and you'll know when a table is rocky and when it's loose much more easily."

What is that? Can I get a link?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's better than PlayerView, but you'll need Poker Tracker Omaha to work with it, and I've been having a problem (since PokerAce is a hold em guy) where his software is constantly looking for the Hold Em database instead of the Omaha one. I figured out how to get it to look at the Omaha database, but the settings don't "stay" and it frequently asks me again and again while I'm playing for the database.

Hopefully he'll fix it soon, in the meantime, the software is free and I can use it on four tables while PlayerView costs, or you can only use it on one.

Poker Ace
Old 07-13-2005, 05:46 PM

Hm, PokerAce HUD has been working fine for me. I'm assuming you have the latest version and the newest PT patch?