Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 09:51 PM

Default A $11 hand that\'s generated some discussion

I'm getting internal service errors from both pokerhand and bisonbison's hand converter, so I'm going to paraphrase this.

Villain is on the looser-passive side, not overly bad but not impressive. Limps a lot and passive postflop. This is what I've gathered from 4 or 5 hands.

Seat 1: Knet_poker ( $800 )
Seat 2: sumpair ( $800 )
Seat 3: mandm2face ( $800 )
Seat 7: pokershaw ( $800 )
Seat 8: Tommy01222 ( $800 )
Seat 9: BODYMAN444 ( $760 )
Seat 6: Hero ( $800 )
Seat 5: TampaPete ( $760 )
Seat 4: sharkbayt ( $785 )
Seat 10: chessmany3k ( $895 )

Level 1, blinds 10:15

Hero is dealt 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB

2 callers, SB completes, Hero checks

Flop (t60) - [2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

Checked around

Turn (t60) - [2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]

SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, Villain (Button/sharkbayt) bets 40, SB folds, Hero raises to 100, MP folds, Villain calls

River - (t260) [2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

Hero bets 175...

1) Suggestions on my turn line
2) Suggestions on my river line
3) Let's assume villain pushes the river. Does Hero call?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: A $11 hand that\'s generated some discussion

Well by the villian's bet and call on the turn, there's good reason to believe he's on a draw (straight/flush). The turn bet is good. The pot on the river is 260, so I think it would make sense to bet about 100-130, as you're not committing yourself to the pot if he had something like T9.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:12 PM

Turn line looks good.

River...if he pushes -- with your description, QJ is certainly a possibility. Obviously, he could also have a higher 2 (seems unlikely) or T9 (real possibility) or 88 (seems like a possibility). However, I'm finding that there is an awful lot of early-on push bluffs at the 11's. So that's a possibility as well.

I guess I would find it hard to fold my trip 2's after <a href='http://consumeralertsystem.com/cas/zx-hclick.php?hid=84' target='_blank'>investing</a> a quarter of my stack. I'd probably call, but I'm interested to hear what others would do.

EDIT: Sorry about the weird link in my post, I have spy ware I can't seem to get rid of, even after running all the usual programs. BTW, any suggestions?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:21 PM

bumppppp
Old 07-13-2005, 12:07 AM

1) I would have likely led out on the turn for $40 myself. I would do this because, you would hate for the hand to be checked around again, and have numerous free cards come on the river that could complete a draw. I would also bet there whether or not I had a 2 in most cases. It is unlikely anyone had anything on the flop, and the 2 is unlikely to help anyone, so it is a great card to represent. It is a card a blind could easily have in his hand. When you actually have the 2, just keep playing it the same.

2) I think the river bet looks good.

3) The river is tough if he moves all-in. I would think a 2 that beats you would try to bet a little smaller to get a call. The same with a straight. I could see him having something like QJ or Q8 there. I am not sure what I would do. The check-raise on the turn by you, and then when you led out on the river does show a lot of strength. So if he is thinking at all he should have a very strong hand himself. But his definition of very strong could easily be top two pair.