Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Where do i find book reviews?

Hi. Quick question. Where do i find book reviews on poker books and other books? (besides 2+2)?
Old 07-12-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Where do i find book reviews?

Book reviews
Old 07-12-2005, 11:08 PM

also rolfslotboom's site has some really good book reviews up.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi. Quick question. Where do i find book reviews on poker books and other books? (besides 2+2)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazon.com and the barnes and noble site has some book reviews. If the book has been out for at least a few months, then the amazon site often has several reviews.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazon.com and the barnes and noble site has some book reviews. If the book has been out for at least a few months, then the amazon site often has several reviews.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are generally of little or even negative value. You will find glowing reviews on Amazon for books by Hellmuth, Ken Warren, etc. Unless the review is detailed and you can tell that the reviewer knows something about poker, it is best to just avoid these.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These are generally of little or even negative value. You will find glowing reviews on Amazon for books by Hellmuth, Ken Warren, etc. Unless the review is detailed and you can tell that the reviewer knows something about poker, it is best to just avoid these.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I tend to agree that most reviews aren't worth much,and that they even can be of negative value, I do think they're still worth taking a look at, even if they can be misleading. One should just be careful when reading those reviews. Even a bad review might tell you something useful about the book that you never knew beforehand, and there's always a chance that you can run into a decent review.

A lot of books on amazon tend to have postive reviews overall, so I wouldn't pay as much attention to the ratings as I would to any other information that might be given about the book. Compared to other books on there, Hellmuth's book is rated pretty poorly overall, even with the glowing reviews.

A more useful part of amazon is being able to look inside some pages of a book, if you're allowed to do so. Just looking at the table of contents and reading a few pages can be pretty helpful.