Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 07:36 AM

Default How do i calulate aggression in Pokertracker?

"MP1 is very laggy...62/25/4.80"

What does voluntarily put $ in pot VP$IP mean? Can you give me an example please because I cant undertand this and why is it so importand. Then what does the second stat stand for (the 25 in the above example). How can I calcualate these stats in pokertracker for each player on my table so that I'll have to take it in concideration when I have to make a decision against them?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: How do i calulate aggression in Pokertracker?

Find out about GameTimePlus.

Its a pokertracker add on that will display these stats for you in the game window.

VP$IP just means you put money in to see a flop.
If you do this too often you are playing some weak hands.

The 25 is how often he raises before the flop (percent)
Old 07-13-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: How do i calulate aggression in Pokertracker?

Hovering over any PT column header with the mouse icon will usually provide a description of the abbreviation in the status bar at the bottom of the screen.

VPIP means "Percentage of time player voluntarily put money into the flop (pre-flop)." This number does not account for the small blind, I believe, as there is a separate stat for this.

The second stat is similar to VPIP. It is the pre-flop raise percentage.

The third stat is the ratio of calls to bets and raises. If, over a given set of hands, a player bets or raises 30 times and calls 25 times, then their aggression is 30/25 or 1.2. This player is almost five times as likely to raise or bet as call. These stats are divided for each street for more detail if you need it, but the total ration of bets/raises to calls is usually provided.

For this player you give as an example, they play just about every hand, raise 25% of every hand they get pre-flop (roughly S&M hands group 1 thru 6 plus a few hands) and bet and raise those hands heavily after the flop. In other words, a total maniac.

These stats are widely used because they converge statistically rather quickly (50 hands or so for fairly good accuracy), where stats like BB/100, W$SD, or the blind defense stats take longer for them to be meaningful.

You should check out the FAQ in the micro-limit forum for more information on PT stats, as well as www.bet-the-pot.com for a general PT guide.