Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Would this upset you?

Some guy found out that he would investigate the flow of Halal-meat (meat prepared due to religious moslem tradition) here in Oslo. He discovered that substantial amount of such meat is sold in ordinary shops not marked "Halal". The butcherers involved explain that it is easier for them logistically to prepare all meat the Halal-way than keeping two lines.

One guy (probably not moslem [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) says that it forces non-moslems to take part in a moslem religious custom unknowingly and thus it should be illegal to sell Halal-meat unmarked.

Does he have a valid point?

P.S. I find it a bit fun that some guy has blessed my pizza [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Would this upset you?

Yes, he has a point...but I'd say this is one of those pick-your-battles-wisely moments...who the hell cares?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some guy found out that he would investigate the flow of Halal-meat (meat prepared due to religious moslem tradition) here in Oslo. He discovered that substantial amount of such meat is sold in ordinary shops not marked "Halal". The butcherers involved explain that it is easier for them logistically to prepare all meat the Halal-way than keeping two lines.

One guy (probably not moslem ) says that it forces non-moslems to take part in a moslem religious custom unknowingly and thus it should be illegal to sell Halal-meat unmarked.

Does he have a valid point?

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be somewhat unethical; I haven't much considered whether it should be illegal (probably, it should be legal, since it is not dangerous to the consumer's health)).

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. I find it a bit fun that some guy has blessed my pizza

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you aware of what halal slaughter is? It is slashing the animal's throat wide open and letting it die from the wound--without prior stun of any kind.

I think it would be more humane to kill the animal with a blow to the head, or *at least* to stun the animal, before slashing its throat and letting it bleed to death while gasping for air. I'm afraid I don't find the idea of causing animals to suffer needlessly to be fun or funny.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:04 PM

This is stupid.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:14 PM

If he is advertising one section of his goods for sale as being Halal and he has another unmarked then the reasonable man can assume that the unmarked is not Halal. Thus it seems clear he is falsely advertising which covered under the law.

To say otherwise would imply that it would be just as fine for the butcher to advertise non Halal meat as Halal.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:17 PM

Are you aware of what halal slaughter is? It is slashing the animal's throat wide open and letting it die from the wound--without prior stun of any kind.

I think it would be more humane to kill the animal with a blow to the head, or *at least* to stun the animal, before slashing its throat and letting it bleed to death while gasping for air. I'm afraid I don't find the idea of causing animals to suffer needlessly to be fun or funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

The government demands and control that it is done with stun. The imams have accepted it, but they demand that the stunning should not be the cause of death and they control this.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:26 PM

I would not go as far as calling it illegal. It is maybe somewhat unethical and deceitful not to tell the consummer what they are eating but as long as it does not cause any arm, I really don't see the big deal. I think this person might have a problem with islamics more than the meat.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:31 PM

Well, that is somewhat relieving to hear.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:24 AM

According to Islam the animal cannot be killed by any method other than as prescribed. Stunning is considered makrooh (not allowed) as it causes pain and may cause death prior to the slaughter.

Both Kosher law and Halal requirements disallow stunning the animal prior to the slaughter as it is considered painful to the animal, causes blood to congeal (it needs to be removed from the arteries), and may cause the animal to die (if prestunned) prior to the killing.

Also both religions require the animal to be blessed prior to slaughter.

At least Islam requires (I dont know the Kosher laws well enough) require that the animal not be slaughtered in front of other animals (to avoid panic).

My general impression is that Kosher is almost the same as Halal except for the specific prayers (and perhaps some pre- or post- slaughter handling).

Each of these religions tried to make this as respectful to the animal as possible.

Of course the true ramifications of the concept of humane slaughtering is fully understood by organizations such as PETA.