Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 08:13 PM

Default NOTES

I've noticed on many poker programs including Pokerstars, that players have the option to take notes on their opponents. I never really have found a good use for this but I was wondering if any one out there does find that taking notes on your opponent helps there game out significantly?

If anyone does find that taking notes does help their game alot I ask to them: What do you look for? What do your notes ussually consist of? Examples of how they've helped?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: NOTES

Notes can be a powerful tool in your poker arsenal. If you're not running any stat-tracking programs like Ptracker, etc, then they are absolutely vital to keep track of what kind of opponent you are playing with (are they a LAG, TAG, calling station, etc.) I do use ptracker, gt+, so I use notes more as a method of recording unusual behavior by my opponents, and then I use a '+' to indicate how often my opponent has done it, to look for patterns. So I'll have notes like: tdbis+++ (turn donk-bet indicates strength, and he's done it three times), or pfmrdnis (preflop minraise does not indicate strength), or pobis+++ (pot overbet indicates strength). Anything like that where people make plays that would not be considered "standard," but they do it continuously, I have found are good to keep track of. If someone has made an unusual play in which they have shown both strengh in some situations, and weakness in others, I'll record that as well. Against good thinking opponents who vary their play, notes are not as strong of course, but still a good tool.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never really have found a good use for this

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep looking.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:09 PM

does anyone here open a couple tables and just watch them for at least a half hour before sitting down? I have tried this and I found it has helped me understand my opponents better than when I would just sit down and start playing right away. also, I don't know if I am searching wrong, but where can I find a list of abbreviations or a template for taking notes on players? I use Bodog and PT isn't compatible with it, which I think is better because I find I am more involved when I am actively writing things down and really watching players instead of just checking the PT and seeing percentages like I am playing fantasy baseball or something. I don't know why, but I don't really agree with the whole pokertracker thing. I would rather obtain information manually, and I would like to find better ways to do so.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:55 PM

I try to do the same thing, watching the players and try to "figure them out" but players leave and new come so often in online poker. So i usually only do this in SNG's.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:00 PM

This is a really cool notetaking system you have.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:20 PM

Thanks, I've found it useful.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a really cool notetaking system you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding....I'm usually a slacker on notes, relying heavily on PT/PA. This sounds kinda cool, though.