Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 04:51 PM

Default WSOP ME Experience

Appreciate any feedback on this hand that crippled me early in the tournament.
WSOP Day 1C. midway through Level 2. SB/BB=50/100. Player to my left on the button won his seat through a radio contest and is a loose calling station. He had sucked out on a couple of hands and I estimated his chip stack at 14,000. He was playing any 2 face cards from any position. All others at the table pretty solid.
I'm one off the button. 3 limpers in front of me when
I look down at 10d 10 h.
I raise to 700 trying to reduce my number of opponets. The button calls and all others fold. Perfect, the pot now has 1850 and I'm delighted as I have successfully isolated the button player.
Flop comes Kc, Js, 10c.
My addrenaline rushes and I'm thinking what a great flop for me as I flopped a set. Surely the button has caught part of that flop and I should be able to win a good pot. I'm a little woried about the straight and flush possibilities so I decide to make a pot sized bet and end this thing right now. I bet 2000. The button calls. Pot is now 5850. At this point I've put him on a flush draw, made straight, 2 pair or top pair top kicker (AK). If he had KK I would have expected a preflop re-raise. So I rule out KK set. But JJ set is a posibility as he may not have reraised preflop with JJ.
The turn comes Jc.
I now have made full house and he has hit his flush if he was on flush draw. I'm dead if he has JJ, KK, J10, KJ or Ac Qc. I ruled out Qc 9c (he should have folded preflop) and KK (he would have re-raised). So here is where I believe I made a mistake. I should have checked the hand down as he had a history of making small raises with marginal hands. Instead I make a 5000 chip bet. He calls again. Pot is now 15850. I have 4000 chips left. Ok, I'm thinking I'm beat at this point.
The river is Jd.
Now my bottom set is counterfitted so I just check. He bets 1000 giving 17-1 pot odds so I call. I show my counterfitted full house and he shows AcJc - giving him 4 of a kind. He had made a flush on the turn and then rivered me. Why he did not go all-in on his last bet is beyond me. How do you play these loose calling stations?
Old 07-11-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: WSOP ME Experience

OK, so first, you call him a calling station but say he should've folded Q9s PF. Then, you make your full house, he is drawing thin or dead with anything you put him on on the flop but will call almost any bet since he's a calling station, and you want to check the hand down?

'Results oriented' mean anything to you?

(PS: even at 17-1, calling stations don't bluff and don't bet straights on an AJTJJ board, so fold the river)
Old 07-11-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should have checked the hand down as he had a history of making small raises with marginal hands. Instead I make a 5000 chip bet. He calls again. Pot is now 15850. I have 4000 chips left. Ok, I'm thinking I'm beat at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you were way too paranoid on this hand. All my chips would have been in the center on the turn FWIW.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:27 PM

It's hard to say what's correct here besides the river call being totally awful. I dont know if I would have been firing as hard as you did because the first day really is about survival and he very well may have a hand like KJ. Hard to say, he probably would have called you on the river with just trips and unfortunately for you he improved.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:41 PM

One question... how does he have quads AND a flush. This just isn't possible because quads would mean 4 of the cards he's playing are different suit. You say he had AcJc and turn was Jc? :|
Old 07-11-2005, 05:47 PM

1. i would have called for a misdeal for there being two J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the deck and then ordered a round of drinks for the table. (sorry for being a nit but it took me a while to figure out what happened in the hand)

2. that's not a bad river call. the other guy has little to no experience so he has a WIDE range of hands he could be playing. he could have AQ or 99 and T1000 smells of a horrible rookie bluff. not quads. id pay it.

EDIT: just looked at it again and no way am i folding.

3. i would have pushed after the turn and done the walk of shame after that hand was over. that's pokah.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how does he have quads AND a flush?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-11-2005, 06:26 PM

this guy is cheating! shoot him! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2005, 07:09 PM

hah...damn, this guy had a nut flush AND quads on one hand. Glad I'm not playing in the WSOP, these guys must be way out of my league.

Tough break man, that suckout must have really hurt. I think you played it well though.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how does he have quads AND a flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

impossible without a pp