Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 04:00 PM

Default How much $$ should i bring to table B&M??

Im goin to my first B&M room today and the lowest limit they have is 3/6 no max. How much should i bring to the table realistically. Will i be successfull with 100$?? or should i bump up to 150$?? I want to start with the least amount but I also want to have suffivient $$ to take a bad beat or bad cards.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: How much $$ should i bring to table B&M??

I think most people buy in for $100, but that is only 17 bbs, and I think $150, or even $200 would be better. Personally. Try not to get below 12 bbs -- have enough to play every street capped if you can.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:26 PM

What about all the tipping the dealers, etc "rules".... i read a post about it one time but i forget where I saw it.... Does anyone have a link?
Old 07-09-2005, 04:58 PM

Search the B&M forum and you'll find a million questions on tipping/toking, although frankly there's more heat than light on a lot of them. (We should also put something on the wiki.)

Long story short, you can't go wrong with $1 a pot. No toke is expected for blind steals.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:58 AM

I'd agree with at least $150. Like Greg said, you want to keep enough on the table to withstand if every street is capped. On 3/6 this would be $72 (with 3 raises as a cap) so $100 would gaurantee you of this. The problem is that you could easily lose $30 in the first 5-10 minutes (or first hand for that matter) and I feel silly buying in again after I just sat down.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Tipping on wiki

OK, it's now at http://poker.wikicities.com/index.php?title=Tips

If I see other threads in the B&M forum I'll link them up there, but seriously, that topic comes up 3 times a week. It's to the point where some forum regulars pretend to be dirt cheap to get other regulars wound up.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:45 PM

This may be my sample bias, but from my experience most B&M locations have a 4 raise cap and many remove the cap when the hand is heads up. Always understand the rules of the location you're playing before this comes up. The floor will be happy to answer this question for you - I would caution against asking the dealer in front of the other players since that may get you targeted (though that can be a good thing sometimes).

I like to sit with $160 for $3/$6 (you're buying in with Jacksons presumably), but most reasonably good players I am up against tend to buy in for $100. Rebuying sucks and playing short is a bad idea so I would suggest to erring on the high side. After a few sessions you'll know what you like.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:56 PM

$150 is the "normal" 25BB buy-in. I like $200 (2 racks of white) so I can start building towers.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:36 PM

Whether you'll be successful depends far more on how good you play than how many chips you buy, but I always buy two racks ($200) for 3/6.