Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 09:09 PM

Default JJ EP reraised. Rip \'em up and toss \'em in the bin?

Party 100+9. 160 starting, about 80 left, avg 1500ish.

I was just moved to the table and have only seen the last hand where BB (now SB) flat called with AJ o to a 4-5XBB raise, check called a ragged flopp after agressor bet over half the pot. river went check-check and AJo lost.

Now then, proud knights, fall back or charge?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (10 handed) converter

MP3 (t2760)
CO (t3170)
Button (t3175)
SB (t2335)
BB (t620)
UTG (t1675)
Hero (t1665)
UTG+2 (t1715)
MP1 (t5165)
MP2 (t2220)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t350</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls t1150, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>,
Old 07-09-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Re: JJ EP reraised. Rip \'em up and toss \'em in the bin?

Well, I take the lack of replies as a sign that this is an unintereteing situation of mere guesses. My reasoning was as follows: MP2 is making a protection-bet and I put him on TT, JJ, AK and AQs. I hold the door open for AA/KK (QQ?), but believe those hands would have been raised a little less to allow play or pushed for deceptive reasons. SB's cold call is a little disturbing as he is facing two EP agressors. If this was the first hand I saw him play then I'd fold pretty quickly. Seeing his very fishy play in the previous pot I greately widen his range of hands to any pair and a lot of high and/or suited aces.

My conclusion is that I am pretty sure to be leading this pot. What is more importasnt is that folding here maks me need to make borderline moves in the future, while a win here puts me in great shape - and I don't think I'm folding JJ in the same situation with a shallow stack

Do you like my line of reasoning?

Result to follow
Old 07-10-2005, 01:36 PM

I'm with ya...I charge...all in...

Good reasoning too; your raise probably appeared to them as an attempt to push people out of the pot with low pair - even if I'm trying to dive TOO deep into the mind of those opponents; short stack? Yeah, take more risks; and, well, your hand could be worse, that's for sure, but, it's not so take the damn coinflip!!! Woohoo!

Peace

Sean
Old 07-10-2005, 02:29 PM

If he recently flat called w/ AJo, then there is a very good chance that he has a bigger pair to your jacks, but maybe AK. Unless he is very tricky and has a good read on you, I'm tossing these cards in the muck faster than 72o without too much thought.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:00 PM

Um, SB just CALLED for half his stack.

Am I the only one that makes nervous?

Muck em.

-Scott
Old 07-10-2005, 03:09 PM

Mucking is right, I agree completely with the previous replies.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: JJ EP reraised. Rip \'em up and toss \'em in the bin? RESULTS

Thank you for your replies. I see that the majority favor mucking and this was also my first thought seeing SB cold call half his stack to two agressors. However, remembering that weak AJ play previously, the chanse it brought him on tilt and the great shape winning this pot would put me in made me push. It's clearly a gamble as I'm at best up againt two overcards, but with my reminding chips after a fold I would have to do quite a bit of gambeling too.

I push, both call. MP2 shows As Kd and SB shows 8h 8d.

I don't like SB's play, but he almost pushed me off the best hand with it (I would probalby have used less time calling had he pushed instead of calling)