Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 07:23 AM

Default SB vs BB

Just entered money, top 50 payed, 42 left.
Blinds: 400/800, going up to 500/1000 next hand
Avg Stack: 10,000

Folds to SB with 4,600 + 400 invested for 5000 total
Hero is BB with 2800 +800 invested for 3600 total
Hero has JTs
SB pushes 5,000 and is all in

Knowing the SB will minraise any pair TT-AA and AK to trap, but PUSH all other hands, what is the correct play here?

If it is a call, does it become a fold knowing they will minbet those hands mentioned but only push with PPs < 10 or when both hole cards are 5 or over (56o being the worst hand he will push)?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Re: SB vs BB

[ QUOTE ]
If it is a call, does it become a fold knowing they will minbet those hands mentioned but only push with PPs < 10 or when both hole cards are 5 or over (56o being the worst hand he will push)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to think at this level in this situation is a complete waste of time, because you're trying to make decisions based on this extremely complicated read that is most likely wrong. You're overthinking the problem.

My thought process would be: Payouts are flat and so folding my way up isn't really plausable. Villain is short stacked and is pushing almost any two here. I'm about to have less than 3bb in the small blind and be pushing any two. I'm thrilled to have a hand as strong as JTs here to be calling with.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:36 AM

This is a pretty simple call.

Given his enormous pushing range, and your 44:28 or 1.5:1 pot odds, and how incredibly well JTs fares against most any range he could have, and how desperately you need to start accumulating chips if you plan to go anywhere in this tournament, you have GOT to call.

If we use your assumption and can eliminate TT+ and AK, the call only becomes clearer. However I think his range is something like any pair, Ax, Kxs, K7+, Q9+, JT. It can be narrower, but it would have to be one helluva lot narrower for JTs to not have a 40% equity.

Kings
Old 07-11-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to think at this level in this situation is a complete waste of time, because you're trying to make decisions based on this extremely complicated read that is most likely wrong. You're overthinking the problem.

My thought process would be: Payouts are flat and so folding my way up isn't really plausable. Villain is short stacked and is pushing almost any two here. I'm about to have less than 3bb in the small blind and be pushing any two. I'm thrilled to have a hand as strong as JTs here to be calling with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh i called in a heartbeat because i needed the chips, but i was wondering whether or not it was a good call knowing i would almost never be far ahead and was staking my tourny life on a probable 50/50.
Also, the read was very good, he also needed chips with blinds going up to 1000 next hand and a 5G stack, he wont have many opportunities to steal as good as this one and he has been doing it all tourny.

Results pending a few more replies.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a crapshoot.

[ QUOTE ]
Folds to SB with 4,600 + 400 invested for 5000 total
Hero is BB with 2800 +800 invested for 3600 total
Hero has JTs SB pushes 5,000 and is all in

[/ QUOTE ]
Getting 3:2, you have to call here. SB range is huge and includes a lot of hands you dominate.

[ QUOTE ]
Knowing the SB will minraise any pair TT-AA and AK to trap, but PUSH all other hands, what is the correct play here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a bad player. You've seen him do this in the past?

I call even without the read.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a crapshoot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to online MTTs :s

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a bad player. You've seen him do this in the past?

[/ QUOTE ]

He was horrid. He said he was sick and wanted to go home and began pushign every hand. He only had to showdown one and it was against a shortstack; he lost with T7o. But then he minbet one time instead. He went on to win the hand with QQ. He then decided he wanted to play afterall but still didnt play well.
The read may not be 100% accurate, but i would say its effectively accurate. By that, i mean if it +EV here, it is in the long run, whether or not every condition is exactly accurate.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He was horrid. He said he was sick and wanted to go home and began pushign every hand. He only had to showdown one and it was against a shortstack; he lost with T7o.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, if the table is letting him get away with this, it seems he is playing pretty well.