Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 02:34 AM

Default I forgot how to play poker

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero...
Old 07-08-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: I forgot how to play poker

start with a read
Old 07-08-2005, 02:50 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
start with a read

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have posted one had I had one. Villain was new to the table.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:55 AM

Remember the story of calling not being a bluff? I hope either (a) you split or (b) your opponent was a moron.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:00 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
Remember the story of calling not being a bluff? I hope either (a) you split or (b) your opponent was a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're calling down in this spot? Or do you play the flop &amp; turn differently?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:14 AM

It sucks that you are out of position here. Otherwise, I would tell you to raise the turn and fold to a 3bet/check behind on the river.

Even still, I think I c/r the turn here, in case he has AK, and check the river UI. I'm not sure what you do if he bets the river though, so I don't know if I like this line that much.

It's really hard for me to fold this hand HU without any reads.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're calling down in this spot? Or do you play the flop &amp; turn differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you're calling the turn, you need to call the river.

EDIT: Since he's in the CO, he could be capping light, or just LAGging it up with crap, so I like to call, but I'm not necessarily sure that's the highest EV play.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:27 AM

wrong forum.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:30 AM

What I'm about to say is pretty hypothetical, since Villain is unknown and we're in a steal situation: But if Villain will cap [/i]only[/i] with AA-TT and AK preflop and then will play all those hands in precisely this way postflop, then we in fact have the odds to call the river on this board, although the best we can do by calling against that range is chop.

Unfortunately, the range for pairs should probably extend below TT, though I think we should discount these lower pairs somewhat (given the preflop cap). Adding AQ would be nice, but we have to hope Villain will fire with that one last time on the river, figuring it's his only chance to win.

Steal-raises at 3/6 full tend to mean something pretty decent, I've found, or they can mean a very wide range of hands instead, depending on the player. My default assumption, with no read, is "some hand that's at least pretty decent," and the cap sort of reinforces that idea.

I'm not even sure what we should be hoping for, since halfway decent non-pocket pair hands have a better chance of hitting this board than the strongest non-pocket pair hands. And Villain has, after all, continued betting.

Hmm. I guess this is my long-winded way of saying I'm not sure what you should do.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:56 AM

I think you could let this go on the turn since Villian capped preflop. I'm thinking it's probably not that much -EV at worst and it might be +EV to do so. If CO has AK your only playing to get your bets back (-the the rake).