Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 07:45 PM

Default real quick, river reraise?

villian had aggro rating of 5.5

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (7.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, hero?
Old 07-07-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: real quick, river reraise?

yes
Old 07-07-2005, 07:50 PM

Easy 3-bet and call a cap. Other than 78 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] what do you think he has here that beats you? I doubt he plays a set like this and you aren't afraid of 2 pair.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:54 PM

Any 78 could be played like this.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:44 AM

Three Bets, then cry and call when he caps with 89
Old 07-08-2005, 07:13 AM

First instinct: easy three-bet and don't don't don't fold.

On second thoughts: what on earth is a 5.5AF player doing check-calling? I am highly suspicious. Very aggressive players would often have put more chips into the pot by now if drawing, so I am doubtful he just made his hand.

On balance: knowing nothing else, I believe monster hands are less frequent than idiot plays, so I think you're winning the majority of the time, so I think you should 3-bet.

Guy.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any 78 could be played like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

No other 78 would of called the flop.

I think you see a worse 2-pair here often enought to 3-bet.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:28 AM

The more I look at this hand the more I change my view on how to play this river. My initial reaction was you are behind to a set on the flop that he slowplays more than 1/3 of the time (and therefore should only call) but most villians would have raised preflop. A set on the turn or river is unlikely as he could not (or rather should not, big difference!) have been calling the flop with those.

You really cannot feat the 87. Even if the flop had been A96 the fear of this one particlaur hand should not dictate your play on the river. as there are so many other possible river raising hands. So I find it extremely likely that this is a two pair lower than yours and so I think a reraise is the best option. The number of random BB holdings that make a two pair is much higher than hands that beat you IMO.