Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2005, 04:57 PM

Default The logic for completing/raising in Stud 8

Hi all. I've been doing some thinking lately about the merits of completing/raising on 3rd street in Stud8 and I was hoping I could get some data together about how other players in this forum handle the situations I'll describe. I'm a pretty successful player at the 10/20 games on Party, but I'm always looking to improve, especially considering how good the games there have been of late.

Completing on 3rd is always situational depending on the type of hand, I realize, but as a general rule I find that in a non-steal situation, I am completing with these types of hands:

Small pair + Ace (door or no)

1 big, 1 small, Ace door card (all suited with <=2 suit showing elsewhere)

Any rolled up hand

Any hand where I have a pair (concealed or no) where there are no higher cards behind me to act or only 1 or 2 low cards still to act other than the bringin.

I've done quite well at these games but I don't know if this is an aggressive enough approach or if I should be completing more often with other playable hands. For example, I tend to limp and call completions with:

1 gappers like 457
2 gappers like 236
small pair + low card (catch good on 4th or immediate exit - I sense that this could be a leak of mine, but I'm not sure)
3 straights
3 suited babies (I tend to raise if I have an ace up)

I also tend to limp in with 3 random low cards if they're not 8s without an ace. I tend not to play stuff like 238, 348, etc. but I often find myself in the pot for 4th street at least with stuff like 237 or a38.

Given that I complete so few hands on 3rd street, I wonder if I'm becoming too easy to read. The logic that at least I've held to until now is that if I truly do have a good hand like a 1 gapper, 3 straight, 3 suited, etc. then I want more people in the pot against me to increase the chance that I scoop a good one if I make my hand. I guess I also have it in my head that it's lower variance if I just call the bring-in instead of completing or even raising, given that the hand will brick out a lot of the time anyway. I'm not sure if this is too passive an approach for third street, but I tend to be very aggressive on the later streets regardless of whether or not I've made anything yet. Since I didn't complete coming in, I'm often given credit for different hands than I actually hold, which usually works in my favor.

Anyone have any thoughts on what types of hands you're usually completing with and why? And if you DON'T complete with certain hands deliberately, how come?

Hopefully we can get a good dicussion going.