Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Whats your default play here?

$2/$4 NL...everyone has a full stack

UTG limps, MP raises to $16. You call in the BB with JJ. UTG folds.

Pot is $38. The flop is 863 rainbow. You have no read. WHat is your standard default play?

1) Lead out for close to pot?
If so, do you lead the turn again if called? In my experience when you get called there you are beaten but I guess some people will call with AK/AQ type hand

2) Check/call and then lead turn?

3) Check/call and check the turn knowing most people wont bet an unimproved hand twice

This is the toughest situation I face regularly and I dont feel like Im playing these hands correctly.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Whats your default play here?

check-raise flop. If he checks behind I bet the turn if it's low.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this line alot more than leading the flop. It is easier for him to lay down a better hand, and if you lead, you are giving him a chance to outplay you since he has position.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:58 PM

This situation occurs all the time. It helps tremendously to have reads, but barring that, I would either:

(a) check-raise (preferred)

or

(b) overbet the pot

Garland
Old 07-04-2005, 03:03 PM

check-raise???
You will bloat the pot out of positon and commit a turn bet(and the rest of your stack) with one pair?If you dont plan keep playing if called(that is check the turn) then the check-raise is basically a bluff
Old 07-04-2005, 03:10 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean if he calls behind.

Problem with this line is that is very expensive to find out you are beat if he calls flop. Now you have a big pot oop.

I normally lead out around pot and go in check/fold mode, or bet ½ pot on turn, but it leads to awfull situations like this one where the pot gets stolen: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&amp;fpart=1

Maybe your line is better. How much do you bet on turn? And do you play sets same way?
Old 07-04-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
commit a turn bet(and the rest of your stack) with one pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have an overpair on the flop which figures to be the best hand well over 50% of the time except against the tightest of nits. Nothing commits you to betting the turn if the check-raise is called. In fact you could say that check-raising will elicit a more pure response from the original preflop raiser. If he calls or reraises, it's invariable that he has a superior pocket pair.

Garland
Old 07-04-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You have an overpair on the flop which figures to be the best hand well over 50% of the time except against the tightest of nits.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, that should rule out folding
[ QUOTE ]

Nothing commits you to betting the turn if the check-raise is called. In fact you could say that check-raising will elicit a more pure response from the original preflop raiser. If he calls or reraises, it's invariable that he has a superior pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
then you dont need jacks to check-raise, just call a raise from bb with a random hand and check-raise any low card flop, that should be +ev according to you
Old 07-04-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You have an overpair on the flop which figures to be the best hand well over 50% of the time except against the tightest of nits.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, that should rule out folding
[ QUOTE ]

Nothing commits you to betting the turn if the check-raise is called. In fact you could say that check-raising will elicit a more pure response from the original preflop raiser. If he calls or reraises, it's invariable that he has a superior pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
then you dont need jacks to check-raise, just call a raise from bb with a random hand and check-raise any low card flop, that should be +ev according to you

[/ QUOTE ]

If you did this every time someone raised your blind, they would catch on. But only doing it in tricky spots like this tells them nothing. He is just as likely to have a set here as JJ, infact more likely. I think the cr is the best play in this spot, and If he calls, checkfold the turn. But in my experience they only call with AA
Old 07-04-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you mean if he calls behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I actually meant that a majority of people follow up on the flop, so I check-raise and hope he lays down overcards. If it goes check/check on the flop then I lead the turn if it's a J or less. If he leads the flop, I check-raise and he calls, I check/fold a majority of the time on the turn.