Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 07:25 PM

Default 100/200 99

5 handed 100/200. I've been runnign good the past bit and overplayed a hand at 300/600 vs the villain (kutakinte) about 15 minutes prior and we tallked a little trash cause i got lucky on the river and he's not happy. He's a thinking donk. Raises too much and puts in too many bets postflop and is the definition of a player that puts you to the test. He can find folds (but doesn't fold much, at least not until the river) and plays position well.

UTG is a 66/16/1 player who is obviously a bad player. Seems pretty straightforword/bad postflop.

UTG raises, donk 3 bets, I 4 bet 99 in the sb, they both call.

Flop T52

I bet, utg calls, donk raises. 3bet to squeeze utg out? and fold the turn if donk 4 bets? if utg folds and donk calls and raises the turn fold? check call the turn if HU so you make sure you see showdown? Am I showdown commited if I 3 bet? Just call the raise and re-evaluate turn?
Old 07-01-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: 100/200 99

[ QUOTE ]
5 handed 100/200. I've been runnign good the past bit and overplayed a hand at 300/600 vs the villain about 15 minutes prior and we tallked a little trash. He's a thinking donk. Raises too much and puts in too many bets postflop and is the definition of a player that puts you to the test. He can find folds (but doesn't fold much, at least not until the river) and plays position well.

UTG is a 66/16/1 player who is obviously a bad player. Seems pretty straightforword/bad postflop.

UTG raises, donk 3 bets, I 4 bet 99 in the sb, they both call.

Flop T52

I bet, utg calls, donk raises. 3bet to squeeze utg out? and fold the turn if donk 4 bets? if utg folds and donk calls and raises the turn fold? check call the turn if HU so you make sure you see showdown? Am I showdown commited if I 3 bet? Just call the raise and re-evaluate turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

My instinct--which seems to be often wrong at the upper levels--is to 3-bet and lead the turn. Fold to the cap. Fold to raise on the turn.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:46 PM

Higher than I play so hope you don't mind me giving it a shot. I think you must reraise the flop as getting UTG to fold overs in this 19 bet pot is huge if you are ahead, If UTG folds and villan 4 bets I think calling down is player dependent. I would bet the turn if he just called and consider folding if raised unless he is very tricky. If he is very tricky then I would check and call turn and river. 61 vip in 100/200 must be nice.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:24 PM

youre showdown committed unless a K, Q, or A comes and utg starts raising it up. so you should reraise the flop and see if utg folds.

it doesnt really matter what donk does. he could easily cap it there with 88, 77, and other hands so youre not folding. even if he 4 bets the flop you should lead the turn and call him down. im assuming you get it heads up of course. should utg stay in you will have to think a bit more, but should stay aggressive and tenacious.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3bet to squeeze utg out?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes

[ QUOTE ]

and fold the turn if donk 4 bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. if you see the turn, you shouldn't fold it. if you're going to fold after the donk 4 bets, it should be on the flop. otherwise your just giving away $100 by calling the flop 4 bet. very nice of you.

[ QUOTE ]

if utg folds and donk calls and raises the turn fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm leaning towards a fold in that case.

[ QUOTE ]

check call the turn if HU so you make sure you see showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]
no. you don't want to give a free card.

[ QUOTE ]

Am I showdown commited if I 3 bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
not necessarily. "it depends" (see above)

[ QUOTE ]
Just call the raise and re-evaluate turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd much rather 4 bet to get it heads up.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:50 PM

"if you're going to fold after the donk 4 bets, it should be on the flop. otherwise your just giving away $100 by calling the flop 4 bet. very nice of you."

no he's getting the right odds at that point to turn a set. a fold there would be horrific it's not close in the slightest.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:52 PM

That's about as good a flop as you can reasonably expect for 99 against 2 opponents. When you four-bet pre-flop, what were you really expecting? To flop a set, otherwise fold to aggression when a ten hits? You know the raiser is overly aggressive. To me this is a three-bet hand to drive out the UTG and even if you're four-bet, it's a call down hand.
And I would argue that if you're not prepared to do that with this flop, then you should have mucked the 99 pre-flop, or just called and try to hit a set.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"if you're going to fold after the donk 4 bets, it should be on the flop. otherwise your just giving away $100 by calling the flop 4 bet. very nice of you."

no he's getting the right odds at that point to turn a set. a fold there would be horrific it's not close in the slightest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are correct. Forgot it was capped PF.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's about as good a flop as you can reasonably expect for 99 against 2 opponents. When you four-bet pre-flop, what were you really expecting? To flop a set, otherwise fold to aggression when a ten hits? You know the raiser is overly aggressive. To me this is a three-bet hand to drive out the UTG and even if you're four-bet, it's a call down hand.
And I would argue that if you're not prepared to do that with this flop, then you should have mucked the 99 pre-flop, or just called and try to hit a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I suspect that you probably did precisely what is listed above, went to showdown and lost to KK. Regardless, I still think that's the correct way to proceed with this flop if you're going to four-bet pre-flop w/ 99.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:15 AM

I think the flop is definitly a 3 bet, but if you get 4 bet, i think a turn fold UI is generall in order. Against this opponent, you could hope he's going nuts with 88 or AK, it just doesnt seem likely.