Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Anger unleashed.....how to stop it?

OK, so I've been playing poker (mostly SNG's, some SS ring limit) for about a year online. I've been a modest winner during this time...learning alot. I've also suffered some standard downswings in both games and feel like I have a good understanding of variance (stats major). Though they have felt awful, my rational mind has been able to deal with the swings pretty well.

However, a couple days ago I had a streak of 12 OTM in some SNG's ($55's) where I lost 7 higher pairs to smaller pairs headsup. Now, I've had worse OTM streaks and handled them with equanimity, but when I lost the last one (KK vs 88) I was so full of rage and fury that I put my fist through my monitor. This necessitated a trip to the local urgent care...

I'm a pretty laid back guy and haven't exploded like that EVER. It was embarassing and foolish and I can't explain it. It was like this force welled up out of my core being and couldn't be stopped. It sucked, not to mention it was the most -EV poker move I've made $-wise.

Has anyone else ever lost control like this? I mean, serious loss of control. I almost feel like a different person now. Anyone else had something like this happen? How did you deal? I still shake when consider that day because I kinda relive the fury. I'm definately taking a break.

Thanks.

Be well.

Proto
Old 07-05-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Anger unleashed.....how to stop it?

In a way maybe it's good you flipped out to the extent you did. An act that moronic will cause you to think twice the next time you get angry, no? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] As long as you don't try to top yourself . . .
Old 07-05-2005, 01:50 PM

Day before yesterday -

I got knocked out of a MTT tourney with QKo to QTo on a Q high flop when my opponent hit a runner runner straight.

The VERY NEXT HAND (muti-tabling) I played I got knocked out 4th in a SNG with QKo by QJo on a Q high flop when my opponent hit a runner runner straight.

Both hands were all in on flop. The SNG loss was my 9th straight OTM (longest streak I've ever had).

I promptly stood up and put my foot through the wall. Very stupid.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:58 PM

there's the ticket...humor! You're right though. It's a lesson.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:03 PM

When I used to get mad, I would pretend like everything in my room is not mine and if i touch it, i die. That kept me from breaking stuff.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:36 PM

My bed's right beside my comp. You can beat on a bed really hard without breaking anything.. Generally only vent that way when people aren't around though. (For some reason, people get worried about that kind of thing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )