Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Attempted blind steal

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

Villain is a bit short-stacked and somewhat passive.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Attempted blind steal

this type of player always runs this line, call/call/call/bet. I hate it......but you can't bet or call the river.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:46 AM

I sometimes call the river....depends on the board. This board may be good enough for me...

EDIT: Oh, WTF...button CC'ed...nevermind ...

def fold on the river.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:29 AM

RIVER: I think it was worth one more shot on the river because you had a chance to pick up six for one. Board is pretty lame except for the Jack so Villian might be hanging on with very little because he figured from the get-go you were stealing.

Once you checked and button bet, I think your done. He might have had a middle pocket pair or an ace with a better kicker. I think your best shot here was to make him fold. If you planned on investing a bet, I like betting out much better. You can almost always correctly fold to a raise. Not many people will bluff raise this.

By checking, you invited a bluff or gave him confidence to bet with a baby pair or something. Now you have a much tougher decision.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:13 AM

I agree with the others who said you should fold this.

Just a quick comment because this ties into your stat post. You may want to stop thinking of this kind of hand as a "blind steal." The reason you're raising this hand preflop is not so you can pick up the blinds (although that would be nice). You're raising because there are only four "live" opponents, and your hand figures to compare favorably to what they hold. In other words, your preflop raise is just a plain, old-fashioned value raise.

The fact that you lost this one shouldn't stop you from raising this again the next time the situation arises.