Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Drawing nut flush, and view-flop percentage...

If one has a four flush (Ace high, so nut flush) in limit Omaha8b, and almost always getting something like 8-1 or better pot odds (in the 2-4 cent tables at least with an 87% view flop percentage) and the board is unpaired...what would make you fold before the turn or river? Anything?? The odds are better than 4-1 to make the flush if you only have 2 in your hand, correct?

Also; The table I am at has an 81% view flop percentage. My view flop, in positions not including the blinds, right now is fluctuating between 18-22%. My post-flop play is hurting me, as I am down money (Part of the learning curve, just picked up omaha8b this weekend when I banned myself from online NLHE) , but still...am I folding too much? I'm using a combination of the Greg's website (o8poker.com) and the Hutchinson point count system. The people I see winning hands are playing cards that I wouldn't even need to see the 4th cards of to click the "fold to any bet" button before the flop.

Sticking to the plan, but still a little frustrated in that respect. I know that steady pre-flop play should lead to long-term results, but does that include these 2/4 cent tables with view flops in the 80s and 90s? My bankroll is only 19 dollars right now, which is plenty for these tables, but if I want to try against the more serious players, in the higher stakes, i don't think it could sustain the variance, let alone the learning curve. My current goal is to reach 30 dollars and move to 5/10 cent tables, but then it's not till $150 dollars (at 300xBB) till I move to the 25/50 cents.

I really want to try to get good at this game, because I have found that I am *DRASTICALLY* better at Live NL Texas Hold'em than Online (at which i tend to go on huge winning streaks and then blowing it in 4 badly played hands), and limit HE just doesn't do it for me. I don't want to sit around playing $1+0.20 sit and gos all day either : ) so that's why I'm trying to make a switch to omaha8 for online play.

Thanks for any comments.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Drawing nut flush, and view-flop percentage...

Using my free trial of pokertracker over 379 hands so far (i know it's a ridiculously miniscule sample, but...) my highest % winning hands are in the big blinds, 23.53%, then next is small blind, 16%, and the next after that is 12%!

Playing almost entirely random hands from the big blind, I am winnings TWICE as many hands as when I am voluntarily putting money in the pot!

Holy cow, what am I DOING?
Old 07-04-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Drawing nut flush, and view-flop percentage...

Ok...don't panic. Step away from the pokertracker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You can look at it in a couple days when you have more hands, but not yet.

Yes, you are seeing the right number of flops for a .5/1 or higher game. Not sure what they do down there. But you are applying higher limit principals to a lower limit game.

First thing I would do is bring your bankroll up from 19 to 50, deposit the money somewhere that is giving you a 20% bonus and move up to the .25/.50 level.

People play much more rationally there and actually fold from time to time.

Stick with greg's site. Play those hands. You'll be fine.

You don't need as big a bankroll for O8.

Dave