Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Hypothetical SH situation

You are in the small blind in a 4-handed 10/20 game. Two of the players are 20/40 hold em guys waiting for a seat. You are not sure if they even understand Omaha as they have been jamming and playing holdem-esque in very marginal situations.

UTG folds, Button Raises...

What is the absolute worst hand you would call with? Are you just folding trips and quads?

Just curious what preflop standards if any you would have in short blind defense situations against very aggressive opponents... I had the pleasure of playing in this very game for about 3 hours last night.

EDIT: UTG and Button = LAG hold em players, BB is a weak/tight nut peddling Omaha/8 grouch.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Hypothetical SH situation

[ QUOTE ]
What is the absolute worst hand you would call with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Beset - Given your description of the player posting the big blind, the player on the button, and the action here, I wouldn't call much from the small blind, except as a change-up. In general, I'd either re-raise or fold.

I suggest re-raising with any decent one-on-one hand and folding the rest. By playing that way, you're hoping to get heads-up with the player on the button who probably doesn't recongize what a good one-on-one hand is and who probably won't be able to out-play you after the flop, even though you'll be out of position.

On a sad note, unless Big Blind figures out what you're doing and finds a way to cope, I don't think the game will last long if you play that aggressively. (I think Big Blind will soon quit the game).

Buzz
Old 07-03-2005, 04:59 AM

Good thoughts as usual Buzz. I think I ended up calling with a few too many hands since I knew I could outplay the button after the flop. I was basically calling with anything and raising with good heads up hands. Lucky for me the nut peddler had to stick with the game because if he left he would lose his spot on the waiting list for the 9 handed game. His short-handed game was quite aweful so it was a nice situation for me. So would everyone else just be looking to isolate with good heads up hands? (big pairs, etc).
Old 07-03-2005, 05:51 AM

my shorthanded game sucks these days, but i'd try to play the player. you can expect him to overvalue hands like middle pair heads up ala holdem, and overvalue hands like A237 which are great multiway but just average headsup.

I'd like hands like 3557 that look crappy in a full game but 1) have good scooping chances, and 2) have good chances to split if they miss.

--greg o8poker.com