Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 09:08 PM

Default mtdoak goes FPS all over 3/6 6 max.....

Heads up today, I've gotten fancy. Good plays or just poor judgement.

Villian is a LAG....55/20/1.5

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button folds, BB calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

It being against a LAG, I figure he would C/R with pretty much anything here, so I decide to take the lead away...

Turn: (5.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets..</font>

My intention was to raise any bet and throw the lag off. Thoughts? In general...when your heads up, is it +EV to do a 'fancy' play like this once in a while?

I have another example where I raised PF, checked the flop, and C/R'd the turn vs a tight/passive player...I can't find the hand history, but I thought it was another good example of using fancy plays well.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: mtdoak goes FPS all over 3/6 6 max.....

i like it, however keep in mind that even LAGS need at least "half a hand" to 3 bet against 2 ppl from the blind. i like the cap preflop too..in order to fold the button and you are probably dominating. i would showdown against this guy the vast majority of the time and expect AT or better or small pair. maybe he had a suited connector 78s or better?....ok now im curious, what did he have (if it wtsd)?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:32 PM

betting the flop can prevent the turn bet-out a lot of the time, and you can re-evaluate on the turn. as you played it, I like the turn bet
Old 06-30-2005, 09:59 PM

Villain is only PFR 20%, and he just 3-bet your UTG raise. I'm not particularly happy about AQ here, and don't cap. Unwarranted extra aggression preflop is only useful if it gains momentum/fold equity. And how often does a VPIP%55 player fold hands he 3-bets from the BB? Not too damn often.

Ok, so I don't like the cap, but I don't know what to say about the flop check. Basically I guess you are trying to take a cheap showdown. Hopefully some people will chime in with insights.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:47 AM

I think the PF cap is good.

How bad is betting the flop, and checking through the turn?
I think thats too much of a full ring line.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:51 AM

Bet the flop. Let him check-raise you with any two cards. You have the best hand.

FPS.