Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Something that might help those struggling in the 30

It's not a crime to give free cards sometimes on the turn when HU and in position and you think it's ~75% likely you have the best hand. Plus it'll certainly reduce your variance.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Something that might help those struggling in the 30

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a crime to give free cards sometimes on the turn when HU and in position and you think it's ~75% likely you have the best hand. Plus it'll certainly reduce your variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

just did it 3 times in 20 seconds on 3 different tables...cost me i believe 1 bbs...but in each case i believed it to the right play
Old 06-29-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought everyone knew this. It doesn not increase profit, but it does reduce variance.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought everyone knew this. It doesn not increase profit, but it does reduce variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, if its ev neutral it will increase your profits a good portion of the time.

-Barron
Old 06-29-2005, 08:26 PM

Say wha?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. this just dawned on me in the last 24 hours. tx for confirmation.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:03 PM

Just read a post you made in another thread about gaining extra river bets by checking when its almost EV neutral. Now this post makes sense.

75% seems way too high to be giving free cards except in the minority where you are mixing up your play. I just don't see your opponents in the 30 60 folding in a high enough percentage of the 75% of the time you are ahead to make checking correct. Most of that 25% they will be check-raising but they won't be folding all or even a small percentage of the 75% you are ahead.

This is of course subject to the specific situation/board configuration.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:06 PM

I'm not saying check 75% of the time. Just occasionally check it. Like maybe 1 in 8 times. Often enough that if your opponents are paying attention your turn checks give you extra leverage and make you more dangerous postflop.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:17 PM

I was reffering to the 75% of the time your hand is best, not saying checking 75% is too high. I'm just saying if your hand is really ahead 75% of the time then you will be called down by worse hands enough of the time to make up for when you pay off a check raise.

Regardless, I agree checking sometimes here will make you much more dangerous postflop. Especially when combined with some river raises. Nothing messes your opponent up more than letting him hit 2nd pair on the river then charging him two big bets when he would have just fodled the turn.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:19 PM

Not only is it not a crime to give free crads, it may be a crime to not give a free card given the frequency with which your oopponents try to pounce on your apparent weak play by bluffing the river.

In other words, giving a free card may be the only way for you to garner additional chips from your oppponent on that hand.

Good post.