Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 03:33 AM

Default More bizarro AKness

so. . .more strangeness with AK.

.5/1nl on pokerroom. I havee been playing extremely tight however I have picked up good hands the past three hands and have made 4 consistant 4 dollar raises including this one. Full table and I have 140 behind.

No read on villian except i saw that he talks in the box a lot and likes to use fancy schmancy pot odd talk.

Anyways. On to the juice.
$4 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Guy to my left calls.
BB calls.

Flop 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks
I bet $7.
Guy to my left folds
BB minraisees to 14.
I call.

Turn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets 7.
I raise to 14 hoping for a free showdown/free diamond.
BB calls.

River is a non diamond blank.

BB bets 25.

I. . ..

I couldn't figure out what he had at all. He certainly was not strong on any street. What do you guys think.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:46 AM

Default Re: More bizarro AKness

Why did you call the flop min-raise? This type of hand is a better push fold option than a call and see what happens hand.
The guy probably won't pay off when a diamond comes, and you're out of position with ace high for showdown value. If you push you are a coin-flip to his under pair and have live outs against everything except ad xd or ad ax.

Call the min raise and fold on the turn is a very good line with this hand. He's given you odds to draw to your flush so take them. Don't min-raise the turn it just enlarges a pot when you have the worst hand. He won't fold any hand to it. Figure out the pot odds you need to call the turn and if he gives them call.

Fold the river unimproved.

Summary. Semi-bluff all-in on the flop if that's the line you want. Or play it like a normal draw.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:10 AM

I often find myself calling these weak bets from weak hands better than mine.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:16 AM

Id say he was strong on EVERY street, and would fold the flop minraise, and fold the turn, and fold the river :-).
Old 06-29-2005, 09:08 AM

He's either got a pocket pair, or he flopped a flush and is toying with you. You have to fold the river and I probably would have checked the flop and folded to a big enough bet. Alternatively you could have made a big bet on the flop but that looks like you're stealing.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets 7.
I raise to 14 hoping for a free showdown/free diamond.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? You're trying to get a free river by raising the turn? Or did you mean you wanted to hit your diamond on 6th street after you check behind on 5th street? Raising here to get a cheap showdown is useless because you have nothing worth showing down at this point.

I fold to the flop minraise. Switch your hand to A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I'm a lot more inclined to play for a one-card flush.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:57 AM

So, you probably called and got shown AxQd or something, but you played it pretty awfully all the way.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:03 PM

Haha. . not even close. I thought for a while and did info-call and he showed K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Sometimes. . .stupid players do things smart playrs wouldn't dream about.