Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Advice for a first read?

My friend wants me to hook him up with a book on Hold'em. He started just a few weeks ago and wants to learn a bit more about it. Now I ran a few searches and came up with a little information but I thought I would make a new thread to see if there are any new opinions.

From what I can tell from reading the stories in this forum is that most people start out reading a Phil Hellmuth or Ken Warren book and learn the game that way, then discover 2+2 and then mock those authors. I was wondering if I should make him do the same thing. Warren will give the absolute basics on Hold'em, enough to lay the groundwork for the basics of the rules, but also in a sense "paying his dues".

But now that there is Getting Started in Hold'em I am assuming that it is the premiere first book. I haven't read it, but if I got that for him I would read it myself I'm sure. I'd follow that up by giving him TOP. How is my line?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Advice for a first read?

I'd go with Getting Started on Hold'em
Old 06-29-2005, 03:08 PM

Your line is good. Here's an anecdotal story.

My girlfriend expressed some semi-interest in learning holdem so I gave her Winning Low Limit Holdem by Jones to read. I consider it to be a fine introductory text on holdem (despite the negativity on this site I believe that a player can read that one book and learn to beat low games with the caveat that not all players will achieve this). Anyways, she started and never got too far into it. I don't think she enjoyed the stile of the book.

During this same time a friend from work wanted to learn to play better (so he didn't lose his $20 every time in our friendly bi-weekly 0.5/1.00 work game). I gave him jones and saw similar results from him - a general lack of interest or at least a lack of ability to absorb the information.

I bought both of them Getting Started in Holdem when I went to Vegas and after they started reading it both of them have given GLOWING reviews. It has a very high readability factor and they both appreciate how he sets up the basic rules of the game and how to read a board and then starts off walking you through how to play hands from start to finish. The style that Miller emplys is very good for learning. It is easy to read and he explains to the reader how to "think" about hands which is so much more valuable then just "here's what to do in this spot - memorize the play".

I have not read GSIH, even though I own it, but I have read one of the hands in the limit holdem section and the advice and thought process exposed is excellent.

I would whole heartedly reccomend Getting Started in Holdem over any other beginner book that I have read (Ken Warren was my first book, followed by winning low limit holdem). After GSIH I would put them on the difficult path of TOP - but only if they are very serious. Most people that I advise to read this book simply don't understand it and dont' want to spend the time too. It is a difficult read.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:20 PM

Ken Warren's Winning Texas Hold 'Em
(the more fish..the merrier)
Old 06-29-2005, 07:59 PM

After completing GSIH, and getting some good playing experience, I would personally then move on to SSHE.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:10 AM

I'm a fan of Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em by Lee Jones. It's what made me a winning low limit hold 'em player (go figure!).

I can't vouch for GSIH, because I haven't read it, but SSH by Ed Miller (same author) is fantastic, but probably too advanced for a first book.

-ptmusic
Old 06-30-2005, 02:10 AM

PS... He's not going to play limit nor will I. Only NL.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:34 AM

Just curious. What's the rationale here? Aiming for tournaments, or WSOP?

[ QUOTE ]
PS... He's not going to play limit nor will I. Only NL.

[/ QUOTE ]