Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Top set with lots of action

The BB in this hand was pretty loosey-goosey. He played too many hands and went to far with them. I didn't think he had a made hand here. I had no read on UTG, he had been fairly quiet up until this point.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

SB ($357.1)
BB ($190.7)
UTG ($128.9)
MP ($311.25)
CO ($201.4)
Hero ($225.5)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $4, UTG calls $4.

Flop: ($19) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $10</font>, UTG calls $10, Hero calls $10.

I think this is an awful call. I think I wanted to look at the turn before I made any big decisions. If you raise here, how much do you make it? $40?

Turn: ($49) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $20</font>, UTG calls $20, Hero calls $209.50 (All-In), BB calls $154.70 (All-In), UTG calls $92.90 (All-In).

I've really screwed this one up. Given I didn't raise the flop, how should I play the turn? Raise to $60 and fold if BB pushes/call if UTG pushes (shortstack)?

How do you play this?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Top set with lots of action

you have position, so i think calling the flop is fine. what would a raise accomplish? you'd hate to be reraised here.

i would also just call the turn and hope the board pairs.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think I partially justified not raising the flop because this was a multiway pot. UTG's call made me a bit nervous.

Ok, so say you call the flop and call the turn:
BB pushes river and UTG folds. Do you call?
BB pushes river and UTG calls. Do you call?

BB 1/2 pots river and UTG calls. Do you call?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so say you call the flop and call the turn:
BB pushes river and UTG folds. Do you call?
BB pushes river and UTG calls. Do you call?
BB 1/2 pots river and UTG calls. Do you call?

[/ QUOTE ]

what's the river? assuming it's not a club, 4, 5, 9, or T then i'd probably call a pot-sized or less bet on the river. if it pairs the board, i'll bet/raise.

here's the thing...flopped flushes and straights happen. you're either way ahead or pretty well behind...raising anywhere along the way will only cause the hands you're beating to fold and make it much less likely that you'll end up with the best hand. if you're behind, then you still have good equity, BB isn't killing you with his betting, and UTG's calls give you good odds to draw to the boat.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:16 PM

[censored] my bad, I discluded the river because it wasn't important in the original post. So assuming the river didn't pair the board, give me quads, or make 4 to a flush, you just call? That's clearly the best decision I think, but unfortunately clearly not what I chose to do. Thanks for the insight.