Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Big 1/2 pot with AA

i played some NL at my local card room last night. here's a big hand that happened early in the session. i bought in for $200 and had about $160 when this hand started.

i'm in the SB, and just about everyone limps (10 handed). i find two red aces, and make it $15 to go. i get two callers. flop is Q high with two diamonds, no straight draws. pot is like $50. i bet $35. i got one caller, and when he called, he gave off this "oh well, i guess i have to call, but i'm not too thrilled with my hand" vibe. i just sat down at the table so i have no good reads on anyone.

pot now ~$120, i have a bit over $100 left. turn is the Qd. putting 3 diamonds out there, and two queens. that's one of the most difficult cards to come off for me, as it completes a flush draw and pairs the top card. but now i have the nut flush redraw to go with my two pairs, aces and queens, but could be drawing to two outs. i check. he immediately moves all in for exactly $100. i have about the same amount left in front of me, maybe $110. i've invested extactly $50 in the pot, and am getting just about 2:1 on the call.

??
Old 06-28-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Big 1/2 pot with AA

is this such an easy fold that no one is even bothering to respond?
Old 06-28-2005, 03:22 PM

Seems like a really easy fold to me. Scare card's just too much.

Bea Arthur? Outstanding...
Old 06-28-2005, 03:26 PM

I assume the main reason you havent got any replies is because most of us find aces difficult to play postflop.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
most of us find aces difficult to play postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why's that?
Old 06-28-2005, 03:32 PM

Yuck...I hate it when that happens. I think you can safely lay down here without giving up too much, but in the heat of battle, I'm probably calling.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:01 PM

Do you really think you're being bluffed more than half the time here? The "oh well, guess I'd better call" followed by enthusiastic all-in seems like possible bluff tell, but the villain could easily be not even THAT "sophisticated;" this also seems like a nice way to play a set that just filled up.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:10 PM

He is getting 2:1, so he only needs 1/3 liklihood of a bluff to break even. I think it is a very tough decision. You don't know him and it is a great bet whether he's hit or missed. I say, take a long look at him, see if he will talk further, and then do whatever the little voice says...
Old 06-28-2005, 04:32 PM

You are getting 2:1 on the call, but if he's not bluffing (assume he holds KQ) then you have 7 or 8 outs depending if the queen of diamonds is out there. 8/(44) means you will still win one in five and a half times that he has you beat.

Also he could easily have a hand like jacks, tens, nines, etc. and figure that you would have bet without a hand. You'll have to assign this a percentage, but for me this percentage is generally very high as a mixed result of the type of players and my image.

I probably call while regretting it, but you should probably fold.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:47 PM

Default results

i thought for a long time, and dejectedly called. the 4th diamond hits on the river and i win with the nut flush, beating his king high flush with his QxKd. he went bananas. it was a bad call and i got lucky.