Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 12:49 AM

Default hmmm... what to do here on flop w/ semi-good draw 5/10 short

6 handed 5-10. I have about $1400, villain has me covered.

I'm on button.

villain limps CO, I limp 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Blinds check

Flop is: ($35) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

big blind terrible player bets out $10 (means he'll fold to a raise), tight / aggro villain raises to $50...

So far I've been getting slammed by the deck - in first 3 rounds have had lots of high pockets - so probably a very laggy image.

villain is tightish - could limp in there with a decent ace first in.

anyway, right or wrong I raise to $195 (pot)

blind folds, villain thinks for a long while and calls - he has at least an ace here.

Turn: ($430). offsuit blank. villain checks, I check

River ($430). 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] villain checks, how much to bet?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: hmmm... what to do here on flop w/ semi-good draw 5/10 short

Well, of course you want to get looked up. He probably doesn't have much here though. Not even two pair. I don't play online, but live I'd be betting in the 175-250 range. Maybe you get a call from an ace. But probably not.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:36 AM

I like the flop raise, your draw is to big IMO; however, I having thought about the hand I have another line I like....tell me what you think. Villain raises 50 we reraise 150ish instead, making the pot 300ish. This allows us to stick 250 on a blank turn...which may take it down there....and if we blank again on the river we have enough behind to pot ~1k......I feel like a tightish villain will have a hard call with just an ace there. As it was played with the turn check(a move i often make with a hand as well) villain may be more inclined to call a river pot if we blank blank...._that is a major reason i check turns, to induce calls)

As it stands i bet 1/3 pot....villain should be suspicious at this point with the most obvious draw getting there. Anyway just an idea, and for what is worth i am heavily sedated with narcotics (due to an accident) so excuse my post if it seems disjointed.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:48 AM

The only problem with the small bet is that it LOOKS like a value bet for the flush that got there.

Flop raise is fine, especially against a "tight player", I don't mind getting my stack in on this hand.

Board: Ac 5c Td
equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)
Hand 1: 55.7576 % [ 00.56 00.00 ] { AdKc }
Hand 2: 44.2424 % [ 00.44 00.00 ] { Tc9c }

You've got good odds against AK, and will probably fold everybody else except for a set, which you're still 2-1 against.

Check behind on the turn is fine, except that it identifies your hand very well, I still prefer the cheap odds, villian is pretty likely to call if he called the flop bet.

Villian is very likely to put you on a flush, here, though. So bet what you think he'll call. 175-200 or so.

If you think he'll think a big bet is a bluff... bet the pot or overbet.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:54 AM

Default RESULTS

Thanks for responses.

When I raised, I thought he would fold right then even with an ace. When he called, I put him on a minimum of AK and figured it was unlikely for me to push him off the hand on the turn or river.

I gladly accepted the free card on the turn and then bet $200 on the river which he called quickly w/ ATo for top two pair. I probably could have gotten away with a bigger bet, but not sure how much. I did have a laggy image, so $300-400 may have paid off, a push probably not. I took a lot of time making that turn check... probably means nothing, but you never know if it can throw a read off.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:58 AM

I like this hand. I bet $375 on the river (yeah, I'm too late, sorry).
Old 07-01-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

haha your big draw was actually... a flush draw.

anyway yeah if he has minimum AK you have laggy image and he's the type to make big calls (read: he is a man who wants to prove his testosterone level... oh crap that could get me in trouble on this forum...) i would definitely close to pot it here... i think if you bet 400 or so he'll definitely call at least 1/2 as often as he'll call 200... so go for it. get yourself paid, man.