Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 03:27 PM

Default limping UTG with deepish stacks

I have kind of been toying with this idea:

If my stack, and a couple others at the table are deep enough, i will limp utg a few times with hands such as T9s or 55. If im raised by a smaller stack i have an easy fold. if it limps around, i get to play a decent mulitway hand, allthough without position.

If one of the larger stacks raises, and has been raising at least moderately lightly, i will limp reraise. Obviously you can't do this often, but you can gain a decent amount of chips.

any thoughts on this?? good idea or chip spewing??
Old 06-28-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: limping UTG with deepish stacks

it's certainly something to employ every now and then, but you've got to leave yourself room to get away from it preflop if your limp reraise is raised.

also you need to know beforehand that the laggy player isn't also one who is willing to call off a great deal of chips preflop -- i'm assuming, for the most part, you aren't looking to see a heads up flop with these hands.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If my stack, and a couple others at the table are deep enough, i will limp utg a few times with hands such as T9s or 55. If im raised by a smaller stack i have an easy fold. if it limps around, i get to play a decent mulitway hand, allthough without position.

[/ QUOTE ]

good idea

[ QUOTE ]
If one of the larger stacks raises, and has been raising at least moderately lightly, i will limp reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

chip spewing
Old 06-28-2005, 03:42 PM

I don't like the UTG part. With those hands you want to be multi-way with some sort of position. You'll have next to none with an UTG limp. It just means you'll be leading out with little or no information.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the UTG part. With those hands you want to be multi-way with some sort of position. You'll have next to none with an UTG limp. It just means you'll be leading out with little or no information.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. I guess it depends on the situation, level, etc., and whether we're talking about a pair or suited connectors. If on the first hand of the tournament I'm UTG with 66 or 77, there's no way on earth I'm folding for t15. If someone raises too much, I can let it go. If the biggest problem I have during a tourney is how to play my flopped set from UTG, I must be having a pretty good tournament.

I agree that SCs need to go in the muck. Unlike the pairs, you're rarely going to flop a made hand, and with little folding equity in the first hour of the tournament, you will often have to go into check-fold mode.

Sam
Old 06-28-2005, 04:15 PM

for what its worth, i never do this during the first hour. Since i only play online, the only situations where i have found this to work is in the second hour of stars rebuys.

Also, if i am not UTG, people won't give me the credit for big pairs.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:22 PM

I like this at a table with more than 1 Laggish, but perceptive players. They may try to punish your limping, but will immediately think big pair when you come back on top. IMO this is the goal of the play. Seeing a cheap flop is slightly -EV, but not so much that it kills you.

You absolutely cant do this more than once a MTT. I'm sure you know that, but for an rookies reading this post. Also, this is a better move the further along you are in the tourney. I would prefer when I have 20xBB, and Big stacks have 30+BB